The Staff Accountant position is a specialized position responsible for the prudent stewardship and effective administration of the financial resources of multiple parishes in the Diocese of Madison. This position works on a team in the Parish Administrative Services Department to provide bookkeeping and human resources services to multiple parishes within the Diocese of Madison. This Staff Accountant works with the pastor, parish staff and the finance council in producing accurate financial statements, executing best practices for internal controls, analysis of financial data and implementation of financial guidelines and procedures established in the Diocese of Madison Parish Administrative Manual.
Essential Job Functions:
• Record weekly collections, school tuition, ancillary income and other cash receipts
• Process payments to vendors; maintain vendor files
• Prepare payroll to assure compliance with State and Federal laws regarding payment of wages, update payroll system accordingly, maintenance of employee records
• Prepare reconciliations as necessary
• Assist in preparing financial reports
• Assist in preparing budgets for review, approval and monthly maintenance
• Teach and train parish and school staff concerning accounting responsibilities and functions
• Assist with reporting to Finance Councils
• Ensure existence of verifiable audit trail for all financial transactions
• Implement best practices as delegated by Supervisor
• Demonstrated understanding, respect and support of the Catholic Church's teaching, mission and values
• Thorough knowledge of the principals and practices of accounting and financial reporting including federal, state and local laws
• Demonstrated ability to set priorities and organize work effectively and efficiently, including developing and maintaining effective recordkeeping systems.
• Excellent communication skills
• Team-oriented personality who can also work independently
• Able to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting with a minimum of three to five years' experience in all activities of the accounting cycle and working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) (preferred) or,
• Associate's degree in Accounting or its equivalent with five or more years' work experience
• Must be a person of faith, committed to the values of the Gospel and the Catholic Church, who provides sound leadership and responsible management of their duties.
• Has a "Service Mindset" when working with others
• Ability to identify opportunities for improvement, evaluate issues and situations and propose and implement recommendations and solutions.
• Proficiency in QuickBooks, ParishSOFT, bill.com, payroll software and Microsoft Office (preferred)
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
• Office environment
• Ability to travel to parishes throughout the diocese
• Full-time or part-time consideration
Normal Work Days & Hours:
• Flexible Schedule
• Up to 25%-day time travel to parishes in the Diocese of Madison. Reimbursement for mileage or use of diocesan car available.
Madison, WI 53719