Pastoral Associate for St. Gabriel the Archangel
Job Title: Pastoral Associate
Reports to Pastor
This position is quite diversified and requires a balanced variety of skills and experience, being capable of effective expression in an organized, articulate, and concise manner. Must prioritize regular work load with special assignments and/or parish projects, be prompt in meeting deadlines, and provide consistent follow-through and communication among staff and parishioners. Should identify opportunities for progress and parish growth, being helpful in the implementation process and providing assistance and communication to administrative staff in coordinating work/special projects.
Skills, Education and Abilities:
Master's degree in the area of theology. Computer experience is essential.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Care Ministry - primarily to homebound coordinating trainings, communication, maintaining lists of care ministers as well as those in need of this ministry, etc.
• Hospital visits including communion services at the hospital.
• Communion services at the parish, nursing homes, and other care facilities.
• Funeral preparation and assisting priest at the funeral Mass.
• Liaison to GriefShare, St. Vincent DePaul Society, Social Concerns, Senior Lunches, Anointing Mass, All Souls Day Remembrance Masses, etc.
• Evangelization & Discipleship Formation of adults and Families. (i.e. Alpha, Evangelical Catholic, or other parish discipleship programs).
• Baptism Preparation.
Training & coordination for couples working with baptism couples / new parents
Special attention for unusual circumstances - e.g. coordination with CFC or school for older.
• New Member Registration.
Registration & "orientation" to the parish.
Work with parish administrative assistant on record-keeping (e.g. GabrielSoft).
• Technology consultant - some troubleshooting for computer & AV issues for day-to-day, unless it is a more significant need, or something that has to go through SMCS IT Dept.
• Coordinates speakers and other parish discipleship events.
• Participate in Parish Council, work with the priest on formation & priorities for parish council & staff.
• Column for the weekly bulletin.
• Participate in yearly professional development and ongoing education.
• Any other assigned duties from the pastor or other supervisors.
Nature of Supervision Received:
• Works independently under the direction of the pastor, within authority limits and experience level.
Judgment Exercised/Decisions Made:
• Decisions are recommended to Pastor, Deacon or appropriate committee member.
American and Disabilities Act:
• Position requires ability to react to fast pace customer and company demands, verbally converse with other individuals; move and lifts objects of 20 pounds; requires use of office equipment including telephone, personal computer, and use fax and copy machines.
Typical Working Conditions:
• Works mostly at desk in the office, with occasional visits to the church and school buildings. Office hours are generally Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Currently, the average work week is 40.0 hours.