Located on a sprawling, wooded campus in La Crosse,
Wisconsin, the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is a
spiritual destination for pilgrims worldwide.
Its mission is to strengthen the union of the human spirit with Christ through Our Lady of Guadalupe
and within the glory of the Catholic faith. Originally envisioned by Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke in
1995 and dedicated in 2008, the Shrine is a place of ceaseless prayer and spiritual renewal, with a
fourfold mission of pilgrimage, spiritual conferences, retreats, and catechesis and evangelization. It now
embarks on a period of exciting growth.
To better serve the 80,000 pilgrims who visit yearly, the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is in the
beginning phase of a capital campaign to build a beautiful retreat house adjacent to the Shrine Church.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe seeks a visionary Director of Development to help guide the
Shrine to new heights.
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT PROFILE
• Be a practicing Catholic with sound
knowledge of the Catholic faith;
• An understanding of the apparitions of
Our Lady of Guadalupe and the history
and activities of the Shrine of Our Lady
• A passion for and commitment to the
mission of the Shrine;
• A strong sense of integrity, poise, and
• Relational and visionary
• Systematic and operationally-minded
• Analytical and high standards
• Opportunistic and problem-solving
10+ years in nonprofit development, and
• Possess a strong ability to communicate the Shrine's mission and build personal relationships with
prospective and current major donors;
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written;
• Self-motivate and strong follow through in all tasks;
• Display a strong personal work ethic with attention to detail, while affirming and motivating
• Possess a history and proven track record of leadership, effective management, and ability to
cultivate current and prospective donors;
• Strategically build the Development Department to harmonize development programs with the
Shrine's mission and goals;
• Have the ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally;
• Interact comfortably with people of various socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds;
• Be experienced with Raiser's Edge (preferred).
THE ROLE OF THE DIRECTOR OF
DEVELOPMENT + STRATEGIC FOCUS
A successful Director of Development will possess the strategic vision to successfully
coordinate campaign and fundraising efforts, oversee development personnel, and form strong
relationships with the Shrine's current and prospective supporters. The Director must build up the
structures, processes, and relationships that sustain the mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe carried
out at the Shrine.
The Director of Development will join a staff of 50 people at the Shrine and be the
principle development officer tasked with considerable oversight of donors from all 50 states
and over 70 different countries. The Director works for and with Cardinal Burke and the
Executive Director, Father Check.
The Shrine is in the early stages of a multimillion-dollar capital campaign of which the singular focus
is to deepen the pilgrim journey by the creation of a retreat house. All people-lay and religious-
will have an extended sanctuary of prayer and peace at the retreat house for either private or
programmatic retreats. The retreat house will serve the church and world broadly by being a
center for renewal that apostolates will carry back to their communities.
The Director of Development works primarily in the
• Design and execute a comprehensive development strategy: conduct annual
fundraising, capital campaigns, and planned giving; implement a system of donor solicitation
and cultivation that broadens the donor base and adds mid-level and major gifts; and execute
strategies for acquiring, managing, and optimizing development software and research tools,
including a Raiser's Edge database.
• Manage fundraising staff, donor portfolios, and grant applications: manage
associate development personnel, including Shrine staff and volunteers who may assist
with the Development Department; oversee a personal portfolio of donors, along with the
donor portfolios of the Executive Director and Founder; seek out public and private granting
organizations and apply for grants.
• Bring donors into the life of the Shrine: plan and host donor visits and events at the
Shrine and other locations; develop regular travel schedule to meet with current and potential
• Participate actively in the community: Attend religious and liturgical functions of the
Shrine, including Holy Mass, rosaries, novenas, and other devotional practices.
THE POWER OF THE PRESENT IN ALL TIME
Nearly 500 years ago, the Virgin Mother of Our Lord, through a gift from God, commenced a
series of apparitions to the Chichimec peasant, Saint Juan Diego. She expressed her endearment
towards him by calling him "Juanito, Juan Dieguito," demonstrating the motherly intimacy and
maternal care with which she wished to manifest God's immeasurable and ceaseless love and
mercy toward all His beloved children.
Our Lady's desire to establish a place of pilgrimage so that her children could draw nearer to her
Divine Son, Whose mission She eternally shares, extends over nearly five centuries to this day and
age, and to this place of pilgrimage in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
All through 2020, the Shrine staff remained steadfast in keeping doors open for pilgrims,
encouraging participation in the Sacraments of Penance and the Holy Eucharist, and serving Our
Lady's mission of mercy-hosting a remarkable 65,000 pilgrims in the year affected by COVID!
That work continues what was started 500 years ago.
The quincentenary of the apparitions of Our Lady to St. Juan Diego will come soon, in December
2031. Her message and her maternal solicitude of 1531 remain timely and relevant to us.
The Shrine invites you to prayerfully discern the role you could have as the Director of
Development. This opportunity is for the faithful Catholic looking to embed him or herself in an
engaged, courageous, and spirit-filled community. The surrounding area is likewise a witness of
God's love-full of majestic rivers and beautiful bluffs, outdoor recreational activities, arts and
culture, and lively eateries. For the young professional looking to grow or the family desirous of a
Catholic community, the Shrine invite you to apply.
TO APPLY: https://www.americanphilanthropic.com/open-searches/director-of-development-2/