POSITION PURPOSE: In direct collaboration with the Pastor, Parish Staff, and People of Holy Disciples Church and our mission parish in Eatonville, the Pastoral Associate is an integral member of the Parish Staff who contributes to the proclamation of the Gospel and the building up of the Kingdom of God by assisting the Pastor's leadership and ministry. The Pastoral Associate acts as the Pastor's delegate in his absence, and has additional responsibilities in the areas of Faith Formation, Liturgy, Evangelization, and Pastoral Care.
I. PASTORAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. ACTS AS PASTOR'S DELEGATE
• In close association with the Pastor, provide direction to the parish staff.
• In the Pastor's absence, act as his delegate in all matters of parish pastoral functions.
B. COORDINATES THE RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF ADULTS AND ADULT CONFIRMATION PROGRAMS
• Recruit, form, support, and guide Team members
• Coordinate and participate in all sessions and retreats, providing resources as needed
• Work with Liturgy Team in preparation for the celebration of the Rites
• Conduct initial interviews with all inquirers
C. OVERSEES THE CHILDREN'S FAITH FORMATION PROGRAM
• Serve as a professional resource for the K-5 Faith Formation Program Coordinator
• Assist with curriculum planning and provide catechetical resources
• Assist with recruitment, formation and support of Catechists and Aides
D. COORDINATES THE INFANT BAPTISM PREPARATION PROGRAM
• Recruit, form, support, and guide Preparation Team members
• Plan curriculum for Baptism Preparation Program providing catechetical resources
E. COORDINATES SMALL COMMUNITIES OF FAITH (ADULT FAITH FORMATION)
• Recruit, form, support and guide Core Team members and facilitators
• Approve curriculum and provide resources
• Assist with recruitment of participants
F. COORDINATES PASTORAL CARE MINISTRIES
• Serve as a professional resource for the volunteer homebound ministry coordinator
• Assures regularly scheduled personal visitation to homebound
G. OVERSEES FUNERAL MINISTRY
• Meet with family to plan celebration of the Rite of Christian Burial
• Provide for the celebration of the Vigil in the absence of a priest
• Provide initial family grief support as appropriate
III. MAJOR ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supervises all Pastoral Ministry staff members providing guidance, training, development, and corrective action and dealing with/resolving other employment issues. Selects and trains new Pastoral Ministry employees. Initiates or reviews all terminations.
• Serves as staff resource person for various consultative groups including Pastoral Council and Liturgy Committee.
IV ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND EXPECTATIONS
A. ATTENDANCE AT MEETINGS
• Full participation at all meetings of Parish Staff is required
• Regular attendance at Parish Council meetings is encouraged
• Regular attendance at Liturgy Committee meetings is expected
B. PARTICIPATION AT WEEKEND LITURGIES
• Visible presence before and after all weekend parish liturgies is expected
C. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
• Maintain a level of knowledge and skills required for this position through reading appropriate materials, and attending workshops and conventions.
a. The Pastoral Associate must be able to communicate with staff, parishioners, and inquirers through written, verbal and digital means.
b. Must be able to maintain confidentiality as this position is exposed to confidential, sensitive information.
E. OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
VI. SCHEDULE FLEXIBLE (Wednesday through Sunday)
Applicant must be a practicing Roman Catholic, committed to the teachings and mission of the Church, and to sharing these effectively with others. In addition, a qualified applicant will have:
• A Master's Degree in ministry, religious studies, or theology
• Experience as a ministry leader (at least 2 years)
• Familiarity with Scripture and basic Church documents regarding catechesis and evangelization, and with the latest models of faith formation and evangelizing strategies, programs and technologies
• A commitment to ongoing professional development and formation
• Ability to inspire and work with volunteers and staff
• Creativity, flexibility, joy and enthusiasm in evangelizing people at all stages of faith development including the unchurched
• Management, leadership, collaborative, and group process skills
• Strong communication and organization skills
• Proficiency with MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Working knowledge of (or ability to learn) ParishStaq database and other relevant website tools
Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with responsibilities, experience, and education in conjunction with Archdiocesan guidelines.