Saint Michael Parish - an active suburban parish of 6,000 people in Olympia, WA - seeks a full-time Steward for Music. This music director position is uniquely crafted to give an ambitious musician space for creativity and growth. The Steward for Music provides music for four weekend Masses, funerals, weddings, twice-annual children's choir, school Masses, hosting liturgical/musical concerts, and the potential for recording music written in the parish. The parish is accustomed to myriad musical styles, from chant to contemporary praise and worship. Notably, the Steward for Music is supported by two additional part-time music staffers, as well as a part-time liturgical audio/video technician and two full-time music teachers at the parish school. The Church is blessed with a rehabilitated 20rk Wicks Organ, a newer Boston Grand Piano, a generous supply of instruments and audio equipment, and a recently renovated sanctuary. The position is full-time with generous benefits. To learn more, please email [email protected], or download the full job description at: www.saintmichaelparish.org
1. Incumbent is a missionary disciple and shares in the missionary work of the parish. The incumbent is responsible for promoting the growth of the six elements of parish discipleship (GROW, WORSHIP, SERVE, GIVE, CONNECT, SHARE). The incumbent is responsible for aligning the music ministries' goals with the parish goals and strategic plan.
2. Saint Michael Parish has a sacred responsibility to its parishioners to support them as they seek to worship God the Father in spirit and truth. Incumbent fully supports the parish's commitment to providing an exceptional Sunday experience through implementing best practices for music.
3. Incumbent assures that quality music is provided for parish liturgies. This is accomplished by selecting music and by recruiting and scheduling musicians for Saturday evening Mass (5 pm), Sunday Masses (7:30 am, 9:30 am and 11:30 am) and other major parish liturgical celebrations.
4. Collaborates with the pastor, and other staff members to ensure appropriate music for all parish sacramental celebrations, retreats, and special events. This includes consulting with appropriate School personnel regarding liturgical music and the development of choir groups for liturgy.
5. Incumbent creates and develops worship aids for the assembly, and provides opportunities for the assembly to participate through sung prayer.
6. Provides assistance and schedules musicians for all funerals, especially coordinating the volunteer funeral choir when appropriate. Incumbent develops and maintains a resource list for organists, soloists, and other musicians available to perform at these functions. Provides planning assistance and scheduling musicians for all weddings.
7. Oversee part time choir directors.
8. Recruit and direct children's choir for Christmas and Easter.
9. Assures the supervision of all music personnel. This is accomplished by training, motivating, supporting, scheduling, evaluating, and recommending termination when appropriate.
10. Incumbent recruits, trains, and supports these parish ministers of music, including the cantor/leaders of song, and choral groups. Incumbent facilitates opportunities for parish ministers to develop and enhance their personal faith growth. Incumbent is responsible for scheduling practices and assuring accompanists and music are available.
11. Inform the Parish Safe Environment Coordinator when new volunteers come into the ministry to determine if Safe Environment is needed.
12. Assures the proper evaluation of all volunteers under this position's care. This is accomplished by reviewing and assessing volunteer performance and the suitability of the placements.
13. Organizes parish-wide music events and concerts.
14. Responsible for acquiring copyright permissions for music used in liturgy.
15. Incumbent assures that the piano and organ receive annual tune-ups and any needed maintenance.
16. Incumbent collaborates with the Liturgy Technician to ensure the proper working order of all technical equipment used in the liturgy (sound and audio, AV networks, livestream equipment, projector and video equipment).
17. Incumbent attends weekly liturgical planning and semi-monthly staff meetings.
18. Prepares bulletin & pulpit announcements, website materials, intercessions and correspondence for the Music Ministry. Prepares and prints a weekly worship aid for all weekend Masses.
19. Maintains a level of knowledge and skills required for the ministry. This is accomplished by reading, establishing regular practice times, and attendance at workshops and conventions. Incumbent also participates in regional, Archdiocesan and National Professional organizations, as approved and as appropriate.
20. Assures the music budget is prepared and submitted in a timely manner. When a budget is approved, assures the monthly monitoring of income and expense and authorizes all expenditures for that budget.
21. Assures the maintenance and proper use of the music library and equipment storage areas.