POSITION PURPOSE: The Contemporary Sacred Music Steward is the leader and a member of the LIFETEEN Band and is responsible for providing excellent contemporary Catholic and/or Praise and Worship music which will empower the assembly to fuller and more active participation in sung prayer at all LIFETEEN Masses and parish retreats. The position is an integral part of the prayer life of the parish, and is a participant in supporting other major Masses and
ministry events as necessary.
DIMENSIONS: St. Michael Parish and School has approximately 2,350 registered families and 6,000 individuals, serving two worship sites in Olympia, Washington.
NATURE AND SCOPE: This position is 12-16 hours per week, 12 months a year. The position reports to the
Steward for Music Ministry.
Live and model an authentic Catholic life, utilizing the gift of music to inspire and provoke full, conscious, and active
participation in public worship (within and outside of liturgy). In collaboration with the Pastor, Parochial Vicar, Steward
for Music, Steward for Liturgy, and other members of the parish staff, this role supports a prayerful and excellent
Sunday-experience. While the position requires excellence in musicianship, the Contemporary Sacred Music Steward is
best seen as someone who stewards the musical gifts of the parish for the benefit of creating prayerful praise and worship
1) Plan the selection of music in cooperation with the vision set forth by the Pastor and Steward for Music.
2) Recruit LIFETEEN Band members and steward their gifts to create a musically and prayerfully excellent ensemble. Special focus and attention should be given to recruiting people that best represent the community; for LIFETEEN specifically, teenagers.
3) Rehearse LIFETEEN Band weekly in preparation for Masses and retreats.
4) Attend and participate in all liturgy planning meetings and LIFETEEN strategic meetings.
5) Attend all LIFETEEN masses, LIFETEEN events that require music, and other parish retreats that have
requests for praise and worship music.
6) Steep in knowledge of Catholic music and Church documents to ensure proper and approrpiate song selection.
If needed or desired, lead LIFETEEN band in writing music appropriate to the Mass or devotional retreat settings.
7) Other duties as assigned