Department: Office of Evangelization
Reports to: Associate Director for Young Adult Ministry
Classification: Independent Contract
The Missionary Discipleship Trainer provides formation to military young adults within the Archdiocese, equipping them to facilitate a small group with their peers as they grow together in Jesus Christ. The position implements The Evangelical Catholic's Reach More process (a certified approach to evangelization), facilitating two virtual training groups per year as well as regular virtual one-on-one meetings with group members for individual discipleship formation. These efforts will assist the Office of Evangelization and the Archdiocese in outreach to Catholic military young adults, ages 18-29.
1. Complete online training and formation for point people through the Reach More online evangelization coaching system.
2. Work closely with a consultant at The Evangelical Catholic, meeting by video conferencing or phone.
3. Support the Associate Director for Young Adult Ministry in inviting military young adults into Reach More formation and continue to cultivate new candidates for future Reach More training groups.
4. Form and train leaders for mission through scheduling, preparing and facilitating at least two Reach More training groups a year along with meeting regularly one-on-one with group members for individual discipleship formation.
5. Encourage leaders into mission by equipping military young adults to invest in relationships and invite people they know into small groups.
6. Assist military young adults in building their small groups by cultivating chapel community support and further outreach as needed.
7. Provide support and guidance to those leading small groups as their groups deepen, expand, decline, or encounter challenges.
8. Check in, at the least, weekly with the Associate Director for Young Adult Ministry relating to updates on the Reach More training timeline.
9. Communicate with the staff, priest chaplains, and chapel community pastoral leaders to ensure that alignment of vision and a collaborative spirit are maintained and deepened over time.
• B.A. or B.S. preferred
• An active spiritual life and must be a Catholic in good standing.
• Familiarity with military active-duty life preferred.
• Experience in evangelization-focused ministry initiatives desired.
• Participation in military chapel programs desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Outgoing, self-motivated personality, and established communication skills.
• Knowledge of Catholic ministry programs.
• Familiarity with military culture preferred.
• Proficiency with customer relationship management (CRM) tools, virtual communication and video conferencing platforms.
• Background check required.
• Youth protection training required.
• Willingness to travel a few times a year required.
The Archdiocese is a religious institution and religious employer. As such all Archdiocesan employees share in the mission, which Christ entrusted to the Church, to spread the Gospel, to serve our sisters and brothers, and to build up the Body of Christ, which is the Church. Employees-both at work and in their daily life-must respect, appreciate, and uphold the teachings, principles, legislation, policies, and traditions of the Catholic Church in word, lifestyle, and example.
As partners in Christ, our work is not only occupational but vocational: a call to defend life and improve its quality by bearing witness to the presence of Christ and His Church in the World.
For this Independent Contractor role, a successful candidate must be a practicing Catholic in good standing at all times while performing the statement of work because this role is catechetical and ministerial in nature.
Washington, DC 20017