Reporting to the Judicial Vicar and working with the Tribunal Secretary, the Canonical Assistant furthers the ministry of the Office of the Tribunal by responding to and recording nullity information in case and computer files. The Canonical Assistant tracks the status and movement of nullity cases, performs administrative duties regarding cases, processes requests, generates correspondence, and prepares and distributes case documents with proper attention to deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Familiarity with the Protocol for processing Formal cases (as well as Lack of Form, Ligamen, Pauline Privilege, Petrine Privilege, and Defect of Form cases). Ability to explain Tribunal processes to all who request such information.
2. Provides accurate information on the status of cases to petitioners, respondents, their advocates, and Tribunal officials
3. Data entry using Microsoft Office, CaseMaster, Salesforce, and other systems as needed.
4. Tracks case status and movement and follows-up on all cases when appropriate, including Formal cases, Lack of Form, Ligamen, Favor of the Faith, both Pauline Privilege and Petrine Privilege, and Defect of Form.
5. Plans and organizes assigned work with proper attention to deadlines and efficiency. Completes all assignments on time.
6. Reviews requests for marriage permissions, dispensations and Visums.
7. Administers cases using CaseMaster software (marriage and dispensation modules) and generates documents as necessary.
8. Makes copies of and scans documents as needed.
9. Prepares check requests for Court Experts, Defenders and Tribunal officials.
10. Sends the proper case files (via post mail or email) to Court Experts, Defenders and Judges, and tracks the cases in the possession of all Tribunal officials.
11. Follows the Protocol for Formal cases (as well as for Lack of Form, Ligamen, Favor of the Faith (Pauline Privilege and Petrine Privilege) and Defect of Form cases), prepares and generates letters and decrees to be mailed to the proper recipient(s).
12. Other duties as assigned.