MANAGING EDITOR (Catholic News Agency)
Full-time, Onsite; Washington, D.C.; not remote eligible
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT THE BIG PICTURE:
As the Managing Editor, you will work with the Editor-in-Chief to manage the day-to-day operations for the Catholic News Agency website and provide quality control on articles and documents appearing on the specified medium, ensuring they are theologically correct.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
• Take part in regular English-language strategic and content planning with Executive Director, Editor-in-Chief, News Editor, and Operations Manager.
• With Editor-in-Chief, hold daily editorial meetings, discuss stories with writers; edits and post copy on the website.
• Work with Editor-in-Chief regarding content of site, ensuring the tone, vision, and angle of coverage are maintained based on preset guidelines.
• Promote diversity of perspective (within bounds of magisterium) regarding coverage of news and approach to coverage.
• Checks stories for legal, ethical, and theological concerns and consult with Editor-in-Chief on questionable items.
• Ensure proper and consistent catechetical consistency of news and other content.
• Work closely with the Senior Copy Editor and other staff members as necessary, to assemble and ensure on-time content.
• Ensure tasks assigned to the team are completed by established deadlines; adjust timelines as needed; ensure timely communications status with key partners.
• Manage staff for performance, training, and development; serve as mentor to direct reports to ensure the highest quality production possible.
• Work closely with Editor-in-Chief to manage event and initiative planning.
• Write and post stories in alignment with the team's established goals.
• You have 5 to 8 years of prior experience in Journalism, including writing and editing, preferably in a news environment with a focus on political coverage.
• You have two to three years of prior experience in a management role.
• You are a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing, possessing a thorough knowledge of the teachings of the Catholic Church with the ability to apply that knowledge to the News coverage.
• You possess excellent writing and editing skills with advanced journalistic knowledge.
• You demonstrate proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment; able to multi-task at a high level and adjust quickly to changing priorities.
• You have excellent interpersonal skills to work successfully with staff and management at all levels in person and remotely; able to develop a collaborative culture across different technological platforms.
• You are self-motivated and results-oriented to successfully meet deadlines; demonstrate problem-solving skills.
• You have the ability to receive and implement feedback with a positive attitude.
• You hold an Undergraduate degree in English, Communication, Journalism, or other relevant field required; Master's degree preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT WORKING HERE:
• We offer a career with purpose! Apply your God-given talents, knowing your contributions help advance EWTN's mission of sharing the Gospel with the world.
• Family-oriented working environment. We value the importance of family, and welcome you as an EWTN family member, not just an employee.
• Worship at work! Freedom to participate in daily Mass, Adoration, and prayer throughout your workday.
• Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life/Disability insurance and Retirement Savings Plan.
• 11 Paid Holidays and generous Paid Time Off program.
• Tuition reimbursement for online continuing education and degree programs through our partnership with Catholic Distance University.
• Ability to learn alongside legacy employees while bringing new ideas to the growing team!
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
If you're ready to get started on EWTN's mission to bring the Gospel to the world, please email a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations to [email protected] Thank you for considering EWTN and we look forward to hearing from you!