SACRISTAN - SAINT JOHN PAUL II NATIONAL SHRINE
Two full-time positions either Thursday through Sunday or Saturday through Wednesday with alternate Saturdays off. The position is approximately 35+ hours per week and works in rotation with two other Sacristans.
Must be available weekends, holidays, and some evenings. Covers Mass and the sacristy operations in rotation with two other members of the staff to ensure liturgical coverage 365 days a year including all holidays and feast days. Must be able to legally work in the United States.
Must have a knowledge and love of the Catholic liturgy and be available for a consistent weekend and holiday work schedule. Must also have an ability to coordinate vacation and time off with other members of the liturgical staff to ensure coverage of liturgical operations at the Shrine 365 days a year.
The qualified candidate will have several years of experience as an Altar Server or Sacristan in a Shrine, cathedral, or a major pilgrimage destination and possess a sound foundational knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgical practice. This experience must include regularly serving at the altar at Masses for bishops or cardinals, large numbers of visiting priests, or Masses with multiple concelebrants. Demonstrated expertise in the workings of a major sacristy required. Experience as an Master of Ceremonies during catholic liturgies a plus.
Must be available to work a schedule that includes some nights and regular weekend hours. Familiarity with Microsoft Office or Spanish language fluency helpful.
• Serve at daily and Sunday Mass on a set schedule with other staff of the Department of Liturgy and at Masses for visiting priests and pilgrimage groups at various times of day including early morning or early evening.
• Prepares the vestments, Roman Missal, lectionary, and sacred vessels for Mass, Eucharistic Adoration, Vespers, and other liturgical services.
• Prepares the sacristy, altar, and other liturgical spaces for Mass, Adoration, and special liturgies.
• Confirms and coordinates liturgical volunteers, lectors, and gift-bearers for daily and Sunday Masses.
• Assists the Shrine Liturgy Coordinator with planning liturgies and conducting liturgical rehearsals for significant Masses and events.
• Ministers as an Assistant Master of Ceremonies at major Masses and events.
• Oversees the management of the sacristy under the supervision of the Shrine Liturgy Coordinator and the directives of the Executive Director of the Shrine.
• Ensures that liturgical vessels and vestments are cleaned and stored appropriately after each Mass and conducts inventories of liturgical goods and supplies for review and places order for goods.
• Prepares General Intercessions for weekday Masses.
• Processes and maintains Shrine Mass intention requests.
• Assists with the training and scheduling of volunteers as Lectors, Servers, and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion for Shrine Weekday and Sunday Masses.
• Prepares necessary internal paperwork for pilgrimage groups and assists with any necessary correspondence.
• Maintains records of liturgical events for historical and future planning purposes.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Liturgically sound grounding in Roman Catholic liturgical practice
• 2-5 years of experience as an Altar Server for a seminary, cathedral, or pilgrimage site.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs in order to move chairs, tables, and kneelers for weekly liturgies.
Must be able to legally work in the United States.