To accompany Catholic young adults serving in the military through authentic relationships that grow into discipleship with Christ.
This is a one or two-year term contract position. AMS Missionaries are each assigned to work at a US military installation either in the United States or abroad.
Travis Air Force Base, California
Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri
Naval Support Activity, Bahrain
The role of the AMS Missionary is to form, support, and embolden the military young adult community, ages 18-29 years old, who serve our country as Catholic leaders. The Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA (AMS), is a global archdiocese tasked with the unique opportunity to accompany service members throughout their career while establishing and deepening the foundations of the Catholic faith. As an AMS Missionary, you will be called to awaken and serve the pastoral needs of active-duty young adults.
The pillars of the AMS Missionary life are prayer, community, formation, and accompaniment. Each day is ordered around prayer and the sacraments. Missionaries commit to spending an hour in personal prayer, attending daily Mass and cultivating fellowship with one another. AMS Missionaries embed themselves into the life of the military Catholic faith community to encourage the mission of evangelization.
1. Complete AMS Missionary training in Washington D.C. prior to arrival on a military installation. (Positions are located in the United States and abroad).
2. Cultivate relationships with the young adult community in order to identify unique needs of the young adult community.
3. Commit to a daily holy hour, daily Mass, and community prayer.
4. Through authentic relationship and conversation, discern how to foster an encounter with Christ for the young adult community/communities.
5. Cultivate fellowship with other missionaries through team meals, prayers, retreats and formation.
6. Be an active member of the Catholic community through participation and presence at installation events.
7. Fundraise salary after intensive training and with the support of a coach.
8. Communicate with the staff, priest chaplains, and chapel community pastoral leaders to ensure the alignment of vision and a collaborative spirit are maintained and deepened over time.
9. Check in bi-weekly to the Young Adult Missionary Coordinator relating to updates on community needs, as well as the installation's assigned Catholic Chaplain.
10. Provide feedback and anecdotal experiences via newsletter, blog or social media to donors and to the AMS.
11. Draw young adults into the life and mission of the church through mentoring and equipping them to be missionary disciples.
12. Provide a written, personal assessment of work at least bi-annually to the AMS with recommendations of further missionary initiatives.
Education: B.A. or B.S. preferred or 4 years of active duty military service
• Must be a Catholic in good standing and have an active spiritual life.
• Experience as a missionary desired.
• Military active-duty experience preferred.
• Immersion in Catholic parish life.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate well with others.
• Interpersonal Skills.
• Desire to lead others in constant conversion.
• Background check required.
• Youth protection training required.
• Willingness to relocate to support a U.S. military installation within the United States or possibly overseas.
• Single and married individuals will be considered.