The Associate Youth Advocate provides leadership and coordination for the parish's efforts in ministry, primarily with middle school youth in grades 6-8 and, in collaboration with the Parish Youth Advocate, with high school teens in grades 9-12. This full-time position includes middle school EDGE Nights (catechesis & relational ministry), some high school Life Nights (regular involvement on the high school Core Team can be considered), retreats, outreach activities, prayer and worship, social gatherings, and other youth nights/events. The position also provides support to ensure best practices in the transition from middle to high school. The Associate Youth Advocate works under the supervision of the Parish Youth Advocate, while also collaborating with the Associate Youth & Pastoral Advocate (three-person team approach)
An exceptional candidate will possess a solid prayer life and relationship with the Lord. He/she should have some idea of the life, habits, and culture of Gen Z and possess a burning desire to lead young people close to Christ and His Church, as well as toward active involvement in their parish community, while also fostering a larger parish culture that supports and embraces young people. The candidate should have fantastic organizational skills, be a pro-active/self-starter "idea" person who enjoys collaborating with their team while identifying and anticipating upcoming needs, exemplifies strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Canva, Publisher, Outlook, Windows), and the ability to communicate effectively with other staff, parents, teens, and others who contact the Youth Ministry Team.
Working Conditions: This is a full-time, salaried position, 35 hours minimum per week. This position demands regular evening and weekend hours.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Qualities: The Associate Youth Advocate should possess the following:
• A Catholic in good standing who is an active member of a Catholic parish community.
• Ability to design and implement a variety of activities for youth of middle school and high school age.
• Thoughtful insight into the psyche of middle school and high school aged youth, as well as desire to remain current in trends, issues, and culture surrounding youth and teens today.
• Successful completion of diocesan safe environment process (VIRTUS certification included - certification from other dioceses may be honored as long as they are within the VIRTUS ecosystem)
• Skills in communicating with and relating to parish youth and adults.
• Commitment to following the ethical codes and policies within the Diocese of Richmond. (Called to Work in Harmony)
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary and Benefits: According to Diocesan guidelines. Category MA-2, Coordinator. Eligible for full benefits, to include health, dental, 403b, etc.