CCD - Hogar Legal, 6301 Little River Turnpike, Alexandria, Virginia, United States of America Req #62
Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Catholic Charities seeks to implement the Church's mission of social justice in the Diocese of Arlington in ways that strengthen individuals, families, and communities.
In addition to a purpose-based work environment, Catholic Charities offers a generous benefit package including medical plans, generous holiday leave, paid Family Medical Leave*, flexible work options, career development, Diocesan tuition reimbursement*, retirement plans and much more.
Hogar Immigrant Services - Legal
Primary Office: 6301 Little River Turnpike, Suite 300, Alexandria, VA 22312
Hours per Week: 40
Starting Salary: $26.16 hourly
Staff Supervisor: Carola Cintron Arroyo, Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney
Telework Available: Hybrid (up to 1 day a week after first 90 days)
The Legal Assistant will be responsible for assisting Hogar attorneys and/or DOJ accredited representatives in the preparation of cases for submission to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), and/or the National Visa Center (NVC).
• Assist attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives with preparing family-based and/or humanitarian immigration application forms
• Photocopy files and paperwork for attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives
• Process incoming case-related correspondence
• Contact clients to follow up on case matters and return phone calls to clients on behalf of attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives
• Assist with processing new client consultations scheduled through Hogar's online scheduling and payment system - entering client information into Hogar's online case management software, sending contracts and other forms for client signatures, creating client intake folders when necessary, and following up with clients before appointments as needed
• Manage maintenance of Hogar's client files and maintain record-keeping per agency policies
• Close client files per file closing procedures and draft client closing letters, as needed
• Make daily trips to the post office and process, stamp, scan, and distribute incoming mail.
• Assist with coordinating and managing volunteer translators, and complete document translations, as needed
• Oversee the daily work of administrative volunteers as necessary
• Assist Hogar's Receptionist and Business Manager with answering and returning phone calls, filing, and taking client payments, as needed
• Provide referrals to clients for non-legal services as needed
• Cover Hogar's front desk as needed, including answering phone calls, returning voicemails, and attending to walk-in clients
• Other related duties as assigned
Qualifications & Skills:
• Competence in communicating and interacting with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds in a professional and compassionate manner, including interacting with individuals experiencing substantial levels of emotional, physical, financial, or other hardship
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively to manage a substantial workload with deadline pressures
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and multi-task
• Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office 2007 or later
• Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
• Regular access to a vehicle required for transportation to and from government agencies and workshop or other community events
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
• Fluency in Spanish (speaking and writing) required
• Two or more years' experience working in a law firm or nonprofit organization preferred
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
BENEFITS: Vacation, Sick, 15 Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, Employee Assistance Program, Diocesan Tuition Reimbursement K-12 after 1 year, free parking, Professional development tuition assistance eligible after 1 year, Closed between Christmas and New Years *Mileage reimbursement where applicable.
Thank you for your interest in joining Catholic Charities, Diocese of Arlington in the crucial work we do. Catholic Charities appreciates the time and effort it takes to submit an application.
Pay Type Hourly
Required Education Bachelor's Degree
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/GKxOQPS4qoJb1HaQYUPJoJ