Bishop Ireton High School is seeking a part-time Assistant Technical Director and Instructor for the 2023-24 school year at our campus in Alexandria, Virginia.
The Assistant Technical Director and Instructor is a part-time position working directly with the Technical Theater Director and the Director of Theater Arts and supervised by the Principal. Classes are taught on Thursday evenings and Saturdays, ideal for those who are professionals beyond the school. The candidate will support Bishop Ireton's Catholic identity and school mission. Organizational and planning skills are required, with a high level of energy and a consistently positive attitude essential. The Assistant Technical Director and Instructor must have the ability and skills to work with students as well as experience with technical theater, lighting, strong communication skills, and good judgement. The ability to engage in a variety of tasks, help with set building when needed, show initiative, and consistently meet deadlines is necessary. Knowledge of theater production is a must.
Ideally, candidates for this position should have:
• Knowledge/experience in technical theater, lighting, and production
• Excellent group management skills
• Resourcefulness, problem-solving skills, and flexibility
• Patience and the ability to stay calm
• A collaborative approach and the capability to work with diverse personalities
• Proficiency in creating a supportive and inspiring environment that allows young people to reach their full potential
• Experience in education, ideally with high school students
• Dedication to Catholic education
• Effectively communicate and work closely with Technical Theater Director, Director of Theater Arts, Designers and Assistant Directors to materialize their vision, within financial and scheduling limits
• Instruct students in the following areas: technical theater, stage electricity, light design, and console programming
• Instruct, mentor, and direct student through the production process
• Help students with peer-to-peer instruction
• Collaborate with technical director to create schedules for maintenance & curriculum
• Collaborate with technical director and school facilities in the maintenance of the scene shop, as well as theater lighting and console
• Organize light shop for classes and shows
• Evening and weekend hours as required by theater schedule
• Ensure safe practices and adherence to safety guidelines
• Ensure proper student supervision and adherence to school policy and procedures
• Practical experience in technical and theatrical lighting (bachelor's degree in theater arts preferred)
Terms of Employment:
Part-time, Non-Exempt, 10-month employee (with class instruction on Thursday evenings and Saturdays).
Hours subject to responsibilities of position and frequently requires evening and weekend duty
Background check and Virtus training
If interested, please send a cover letter with three professional references, current resume, and written personal philosophy of education in a Catholic school environment to Tina Becker, Manager of Administrative Services, [email protected].