ST. MARK Catholic School is seeking a full-time music teacher for Kindergarten through grade 8. Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's degree, a love of music, an interest in teaching students, and a desire to work for a Catholic school. At each grade level (K-8), classes meet for music once a week.
The school has numerous instruments available for student use as part of the music program, including guitars, violins, ukuleles, xylophones, bells, and more. How much they are utilized, and at which grades, can be determined in partnership with the school administration. ST. MARK has a dynamic music program that follows the Diocesan curriculum which incorporates five "themes": Performance, Compose and Improvise, Analysis and Critique, Music Culture, and Cross-curricular Connection.
The ability to direct the school choir, play the piano for school Masses, and plan school liturgies in coordination with the Parish music liturgy staff is integral to the position.
ST. MARK teachers work closely with one another in a collaborative environment that requires effective communication and flexibility.
In the classroom, the teacher works to create an educational setting where all students have the opportunity to fulfill their personal, spiritual, and academic potential. Candidates should possess an interest in teaching students with learning differences. The music teacher is responsible for organizing and implementing an instructional program that maximizes students' unique God-given gifts and talents in a joyful environment and promotes spiritual and academic success in accordance with ST. MARK Catholic School's mission.
Teachers work closely with one another to provide a challenging and supportive educational experience for all students. You can learn more about our school at our website: https://www.stmark.org/school
ST. MARK is a warm, service-oriented parish and school, with a close-knit and supportive faculty and staff.
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
• Bachelor's or Master's degree
• Experience teaching preferred
• A desire to help students grow in faith, knowledge, and service
Important knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Strong communication skills
• Enjoy collaborating with others
• Imagination and flexibility
• Comfort using digital platforms for both planning and instructional purposes
• Commitment to creating an inclusive classroom environment where students of all abilities are accepted and engaged in meaningful ways
• Continuous commitment to reflection on one's own practices
Major duties and responsibilities:
• Create daily and long-range lesson plans
• Direct the school choir
• Play the piano for school Masses
• Plan school liturgies in coordination with the Parish music liturgy staff
• Assess student understanding of what has been taught, and modify teaching accordingly
• Communicate constructively with parents
• Maintain appropriate and accurate records in learning management system (Schoology)
• Complete report cards professionally and punctually
• Pursue professional development opportunities both individually and collaboratively
• Provide positive role-modeling for students based on our Catholic Faith
• Represent the school in a professional manner
• Other duties as assigned
About the Employer
ST. MARK is a mid-sized Catholic Pre-K through grade 8 school in Vienna, Virginia serving approximately 350 students in grades K-8. We have two classes per grade from Kindergarten through grade 8, with an average of 20 students per class. Our teachers inspire and challenge young learners to grow in every area: spiritually, academically, physically, emotionally, and socially. Our students consistently score above both national and diocesan averages on standardized assessments.
Citizenship, residency or work visa required.
Please send resume and cover letter to Mrs. Kimberly Parker at [email protected].
Position Type: Full-time
Citizenship, residency or work visa required
Kimberly Parker, Principal
ST. MARK Catholic School
9972 Vale Road
Vienna, Virginia 22181
Phone: (703) 281-9103
Email: [email protected]
Vienna, VA 22181