Pregnancy and Adoption Support, Fairfax VA
Starting Salary $ 49,057.50
up to 2 days hybrid after 90 day training period
Please copy the below link into your browser to see what Catholic Charitie is about.
Duties include adoption home studies, child referrals, training, matching, adoption placement and post placement support; pregnancy support and birth parent counseling; community outreach and education.
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington provides services grounded in the teachings of the Catholic Church on the human person. Accordingly, the social worker is expected to provide services within this framework.
A. PREGNANCY SUPPORT
Our pregnancy support work is designed to empower woman and families to make well thought out and informed decisions about what is best for them and their child. We do this by assessing and seeking to strengthen factors in the client's life that will promote healthy outcomes and stability for the family. Clinical staff assist with intakes and with clients who are pursuing adoption.
• Intake, assessment and options counseling for all expectant parents in need of services
• For parents pursuing making an adoption plan, providing a high level of counseling and case management during pregnancy and following placement.
• Collaborates with other community agencies to educate them about our agencies' services as well as follow up on clients referred to us.
PAS' adoption program is structured to find families for children in need of care, not to find children for families who desire children. We do this through internal and external education on ethical adoption practices, trauma informed assessment tools, high quality pre-adoption and ongoing trainings and providing care and support to our clients during the adoption process. PAS recognizes that adoption is a lifelong journey and therefore, we remain a lifelong resource for all birth parents, adoptive families and adoptees.
• Completes adoption home studies as assigned, according to Virginia State Standards and CCDA requirements. Completes home studies in within time frame designated by Program Director or Supervisor.
• CCDA works with families who are adopting domestically, internationally, parental placements and adoption from the foster care system.
• Supports families who are approved and waiting.
• Rotates carrying emergency on-call phone to be able to respond to any crisis management needs and/or adoption placement needs.
• Waiting Child Adoption
• Assists with marketing current families so they are able to be considered as placement options for children in need of adoptive families
• Facilitates and participates in match meetings and interviews
• Acts as an advocate for the adoptive family to assist with obtaining all relevant information so they can make an informed decision and assists with ensuring proper supports are in place to promote a successful transition and placement for the child and family.
C. POST ADOPTION COUNSELING
PAS works with adoptees to access information from their adoption files and/or find and connect with their birth family. This is done in accordance with VA adoption disclosure laws.
• Carry a small caseload of Post Adoption Clients as needed
D. ADMINISTRATIVE AND COMMUNITY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Acts as liaison in community programs
• Educates and promotes work of agency in community. May involve travel and speaking at community meetings. Complete outreach visits.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Masters degree in social work or other related field.
* Experience working in public or private foster care strongly preferred (including internships or employment)
* Must be able to work in a high stress field
* Ability to juggle various roles and case loads depending on the needs of the program
* 3-5 years social work/case management experience preferred including internship
* Social workers in this job must have a valid driver's license and a safe driving record.
* TB test, CPS, and police clearances are required.
REQUIRED: U.S. Citizenship due to licensing
***COVER LETTER REQUIRED with application**
The primary office for PAS is a non-smoking facility in Fairfax, Virginia. It is a standard carpeted office suite with central HVA system and access to amenities such as a fitness center, restaurant, and break rooms. PAS has another office location at the Mother of Mercy free Medical clinic in Manassas. Work schedules are flexible depending on the needs of the workers case load. Some work from home scheduling may be available. PAS workers travel regularly as we serve the entire Diocese of Arlington. PAS workers complete regular home visits with clients and community meetings. Office hours are 9am to 5pm, some evenings and weekends will be necessary. Catholic Charities offices are closed for all major holidays. Clinical staff rotate carrying the emergency on-call phone to be available to pregnant clients, clients in crisis and to respond to an in-person emergency such as a hospital call for an infant adoption (this is rare but does happen occasionally).
Each worker will be individually supervised by assigned supervisor. Social worker will receive at least one hour of supervision per week.
BENEFITS: Vacation, Sick, 15 Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, Diocesan Tuition Reimbursement K-12 after 1 year, free parking, Professional development tuition assistance eligible after 1 year, Closed between Christmas and New Years *Mileage reimbursement where applicable.
To view our benefit offerings:*
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.