The Headmaster must be practicing Roman Catholic, possess the minimum of an Undergraduate degree and the ideal candidate will have a Master's degree in Education, Administration, or related field, and demonstrate a commitment to Catholic secondary education. Other requirements include teaching experience in a classical school environment; previous experience in secondary school administration; familiarity with the mission of the Chesterton Academy Schools and the teachings of the Catholic Church; and working knowledge of institutional advancement/fundraising. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Headmaster and the Executive Director lead the administrative team at Chesterton Academy. This model of school administration is one of equality with both specific and shared responsibilities.
- The Headmaster is responsible for internal operations, including the instructional leadership of the school, as well as hiring and supervision of instructional personnel, the curriculum, and student life.
- The Executive Director is responsible for the business aspects of the administration including finances, human resources, fundraising, strategic planning, public relations, and building facility.
These co-leaders share responsibilities for nurturing and maintaining the mission and traditions of the school, ensuring fidelity to the Magisterium. Both administrators are hired by and report directly to the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors appoints the Headmaster of Chesterton Academy. A collaborative relationship between the Headmaster and Executive director is a requirement. In addition to any teaching responsibilities, the duties of the Headmaster include: (1) curriculum and academic excellence; (2) instruction; (3) student life and discipline; (4) parent communications; (5) student admissions; (6) guidance; (7) other school operations; (8) teaching responsibilites.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
Curriculum and Academic Excellence
• Oversee adherence to Chesterton Schools Network curriculum
• Oversee implementation of changes to curriculum
• Review results of student tests (CLT, PSAT, ACT, SAT)
• Oversee school accreditation process and renewal per Network guidelines
• Oversee faculty hiring, evaluation, rehires, terminations
• Conduct classroom observations for faculty members as part of evaluation process
Student Life and Discipline
• Ensure discipline policies are enforced, communicated
• Oversee parent-led sports and extracurricular activities
• Ensure effectiveness of virtue house and faculty mentor programs
• Oversee academic and behavioral eligibility for extra-curricular activities
• Send weekly Headmaster Missive to parents or school newsletter
• Meet with parents regarding student discipline and academic issues
• Admit new students upon review of placement exam, student application materials, and meeting
• Oversee transfer student process (curriculum, regulations, forms, financial)
• Review placement tests and contact parents with remedial needs
• Deliver presentations to prospective parents and students at selected school events
• Coordinate standardized testing, college applications and transcript preparation
• Communicate with colleges, universities and other post-high school programs
• Promote various vocational opportunities
Other School Operations
• Oversee selection and evaluation of vendors (software, textbooks, other services)
Applicants please send Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected]