The Headmaster serves as the educational leader, responsible for managing the policies, regulations, and procedures to ensure that all students are supervised in a safe, learning environment that adheres to our Catholic identity and meets the approved curricula and mission of the school. The Headmaster is responsible for the curriculum, instructional leadership of the school, hiring and supervision of instructional personnel, student life, discipline and related parent communication.
The Headmaster must be practicing Roman Catholic, possess the minimum of a Master's Degree in Administration or related field, and demonstrate a commitment to Catholic secondary education. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Board of Directors appoints the Headmaster of Chesterton Academy. In addition to any teaching responsibilities, the duties of the Headmaster include: (1) curriculum and academic excellence; (2) instruction; (3) student life and discipline; (4) parent communications; (5) student admissions; (6) guidance; (7) other school operations.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
Curriculum and Academic Excellence
• Oversee adherence to Chesterton Schools Network curriculum
• Oversee implementation of changes to curriculum
• Review results of student tests (CLT, PSAT, ACT, SAT)
• Oversee school accreditation process and renewal per Network guidelines
• Oversee faculty hiring, evaluation, rehires, terminations
• Conduct classroom observations for faculty members as part of evaluation process
Student Life and Discipline
• Ensure discipline policies are enforced, communicated
• Oversee parent-led sports and extracurricular activities
• Ensure effectiveness of virtue house and faculty mentor programs
• Oversee academic and behavioral eligibility for extra-curricular activities
• Send weekly Headmaster Missive to parents or school newsletter
• Meet with parents regarding student discipline and academic issues
• Admit new students upon review of placement exam, student application materials, and meeting
• Oversee transfer student process (curriculum, regulations, forms, financial)
• Review placement tests and contact parents with remedial needs
• Deliver presentations to prospective parents and students at selected school events
• Coordinate standardized testing, college applications and transcript preparation
• Communicate with colleges, universities and other post-high school programs
• Promote various vocational opportunities
Other School Operations
• Oversee selection and evaluation of vendors (software, textbooks, other services)
Teaching Responsibilities (as needed)
The Headmaster maintains the following working relationships:
• The Headmaster reports directly to the Board of Directors.
• The Headmaster maintains a consultative, collaborative relationship with the Executive Director, when applicable
• The Headmaster maintains a supervisory relationship with faculty and other selected staff, including Administrative Dean and Academic Dean.
Masters in Education or related field
Significant teaching experience in a classical school environment; previous experience in secondary school administration; familiarity with the mission of Chesterton Academy and the teachings of the Catholic Church; and working knowledge of institutional advancement/fundraising.