FLSA Classification: Exempt
Employee Type: FT/10-mo
Reports To: Drew Hudson, Principal
The Job: Members of the Cristo Rey Jesuit Faculty are primarily responsible for facilitating student learning and the assessment of that learning; supervising students, ensuring their safety and compliance with school rules and policies and participating in the ongoing development of the School's program of studies.
Purpose: A member of the Cristo Rey Jesuit faculty seeks ways to teach and model being men and women for others. He/she interacts in a positive and caring way with students by offering academic and personal guidance and takes an active position in celebrating and upholding the Catholic and Jesuit identity of Cristo Rey Jesuit. Preference is given to candidates willing to get involved in the school community by moderating clubs, coaching athletic teams, and serving as adult leaders on retreats
Responsibilities: Include, but are not limited to:
1. Develop rigorous lessons in subject area through a culturally relevant lens for predominantly first generation, low-income students.
2. Incorporate Ignatian pedagogy in order to design more effective classroom experiences.
3. Utilize data-driven instruction and analysis of student assessment data.
4. Set and maintain high academic expectations for all students.
5. Design and update course curriculum using backwards planning and assessment data.
6. Foster relationships with families to better facilitate open communication.
7. Hold regular office hours to provide additional instruction and support to individual students.
8. Build appropriate rapport and trust with students, and redirect student behavior as needed.
9. Develop professionally by working with other teachers and leaders to improve student learning, participating in professional developments, and providing and receiving feedback from school leaders.
10. Commit to our mission to inspire and prepare students of limited economic resources to succeed in college and lead their communities as compassionate, committed, and competent men and women for others for the greater glory of God.
11. Be actively involved in the School's religious life and have a pastoral attitude toward the students entrusted to Cristo Rey Jesuit.
Job Duties: Include, but are not limited to:
1. Teacher agrees to teach full-time according to the schedule assigned or to accept, in emergency situations, an alternative comparable schedule.
2. Teacher agrees at least one period unencumbered by direct instructional or supervisory responsibilities ("Planning Period"), except as provided herein. During the Planning Period, Teacher shall plan and prepare for Teaching Periods, grade and record student work, and participate in instructional coaching and Principal-directed, curriculum-based work. Teacher shall be required to serve as a substitute-teacher during her/his Planning Period at the Principal's request.
3. Teacher agrees to attend and fully participate in all scheduled In-Service Dates as outlined on the Academic Calendar.
4. Teacher agrees to teach and act consistently in accordance with the stated mission, objectives, and policies of the School as articulated in the Employee Handbook.
5. Teacher agrees to participate in faculty meetings, Communities, student supervision, Academic and/or ad-hoc committees, record-keeping and reporting, curriculum development, parent-teacher meetings, staffing with counselors, professional development as planned, faculty retreats, and other duties as assigned.
6. Teacher agrees to substitute teach when called upon by administration to cover in classrooms where the teacher is absent.
7. Teacher agrees to participate in major school events including, but not limited to, the Mass of the Holy Spirit, Back to School Event, Open House, Baccalaureate Mass, Building the Kingdom, Field Day and Graduation.
8. Teacher agrees to supervise duties as assigned throughout the school year, including lunch duty, Penance Halls, assemblies, and/or morning and afternoon duty.
9. Teacher agrees to supervise additional events as needed, including student retreats, college visits, homecoming, prom, et cetera.
10. Teacher agrees to respect and help form the spiritual values of the students and to support the Jesuit, Catholic identity of the School by exemplifying in his/her own actions the characteristics of Christian living, being a leader of prayer, and supporting the liturgical and spiritual life of the school.
11. Teacher agrees to participate in the faculty and staff formation in Ignatian Spirituality, Ignatian Pedagogy, and Jesuit education.
Teacher agrees to support and promote the success of the Corporate Work-Study Program.
12. Teacher agrees to actively implement the Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures as outlined in the Student Handbook.
13. Teacher agrees to undergo a School-initiated criminal background check upon hire and updated inquiry every three years of employment, to complete required trainings as scheduled, including but no limited to, an Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston Catholic Mutual Group Safe Haven online training seminar on child abuse and mandatory reporting, and to renew their Safe Haven online training every 5 years.
14. Teacher agrees to provide the School with official transcripts for all college studies completed prior to hiring or if supplemental education acquired while employed, no later than 2 weeks after completion.
15. Teacher agrees to accept any special assignment that may be required for the efficient operation of the School, as assigned by the Principal.
- Bachelor's Degree is required
- Master's Degree preferred
- State of Texas Teacher's Certification, OR
* Must have a Bachelor's Degree in the content area and at least 12 credit hours in education AND
* Must complete state certification within the first two years of employment.
- Teaching in marginalized communities preferred
- Training in reading or literacy strategies preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston and Cristo Rey Work Study Program, Inc are equal opportunity employers.