Title: Coordinator of Family Catechesis & Evangelization
Reports to: Pastor
Job Status: Full Time
The Coordinator of Family Catechesis & Evangelization upholds Jesus Christ's commission to the Church to "go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" (Mt 28:19-20).
This position has a dual leadership role that works simultaneously: 1) Evangelization which advocates the implementation of Matthew 28 among our parish's children, youth, young adults, adults, and elders; single, married, widowed, and families within the active community; the inactive community and the unchurched; 2) An Orthodox implementation of Catechesis which is the overall responsibility for the parish catechetical formation of children, youth, and adults.
Critical to the position is the ability to implement the Orthodox Teaching and Traditions passed on through the ages, utilize and incorporate new media and communication methods, and explore new approaches to Catholic Formation to form intentional disciples who make disciples.
Responsibilities: Catechesis & Evangelization
• Collaborate with the pastor in effectively establishing an overall catechesis and evangelization plan pursuant to the current pastoral plan to solidify the unity of Holy Cross and Sacred Heart Catholic Churches and Holy Cross Catholic School in our Education at the Foot of the Cross.
• Collaboration and coordination with the pastor in the implementation of programs and projects seeking to restore, renew, and revitalize the faith life of our parish families' children, youth, young adults, and adults of all ages; single, married, widowed, and families within the parish community.
• Collaboration and coordination with the pastor in the implementation of the Great Commission of Jesus Christ to the Catholic Church, "go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you'' (Mt 28:19-20) in our Education at the Foot of the Cross.
• In concert with the Pastor, the Staff, Finance Council, and other committees, help to shape, formulate, and direct activities that fulfill the Parish's vision for lifelong growth in Catholic faith (i.e., promoting an active prayer life; focus religious education on living God's word; promoting charitable works within the religious education programs; promoting small Christian communities; promote and oversee the youth group, etc.)
• Works with other parish volunteers to promote cohesive, effective catechesis and evangelization programming for our parish, including but not limited to Vacation Bible School, CCD, Youth Group, Young Adult, Small Group meetings, Monthly Book Clubs, etc.
• Other duties as assigned by the pastor.
• Create and coordinate the creation or organizing of tools for grief ministries, etc.
• Offers regular support, encouragement, and presence to volunteer ministers and promotes on-going catechesis and evangelization opportunities for their Catechesis/Formation.
• Ability to form catechists so that those formed are formed as evangelists.
• Collaborate with clergy, staff, and volunteers.
• Partner with faith formation leaders of other local parishes and the diocese to maintain training and certification for catechists.
• The coordinator is responsible for the formation of catechists and adherence to Diocesan policies for those ministering to children.
• Implement ways to reach out to those active, inactive and the unchurched in our community.
• Implement Discipleship in our Education at the Foot of the Cross
• Coordinate and communicate with the various programs of the parish
• Update and communicate through social media platforms
• Work with office staff and pastor to develop advertising strategy
• Develop on-line parish calendar
• Produce flyers, trifolds, and other means of communication for parishioners
• Follow diocesan communication policies
• Excellent communication skills, especially with developing and communicating the Church's mission.
• Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships within the parish and school community, especially related to volunteers and families.
• Ability to express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written communications.
• Excellent interpersonal skill, ability to work with wide array of people and to resolve conflict and build consensus.
• Familiarity with social media and ability to communicate efficiently through multiple channels.
• Familiarity with MS Office package, proficiency with Word and Excel and familiarity with publisher preferred.
• Must be physically able to lift up to 35 pounds (moving tables/chairs for meeting set up) and be available to work evenings and weekends as needed.
• Trustworthy and able to work with confidential information, whether oral, written, or electronic.
• Quick learner, ability to see big picture and how tasks relate to one another.
• Has the opportunity for a Daily Staff Holy Hour.
• Attend the 2 weekly School Masses, Holy Days of Obligation, and Weekend Mass(es).
• Recruits, trains, and supports volunteers to assist with evangelization and formation efforts
• Attend regional and diocesan conferences for continuing education and spiritual formation
• Other duties as assigned by the pastor
Pastor will conduct an initial appraisal within 180 days of employment followed by an annual appraisal.
Position is full time 40+ hours including but not limited to daytime, evenings, and weekends. The parish is closed on Mondays. A work schedule should be created and submitted to the pastor for approval.