The Youth Minister is a dynamic individual passionate about leading teens into a deeper relationship with Christ and His Church. Candidate must be a faithfully practicing Catholic, with a stable life of prayer and virtue, deep knowledge of the faith, and a passion for transmitting it to youth. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a necessity! Bilingual, English and Spanish desired.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Works with parents to recruit adult mentors for small groups
• Plans and directs weekly youth activities either directly or in cooperation with adult mentors
• Prepares and publicizes an annual calendar of events and updates regularly
• Coordinates youth participation in all Diocesan-sponsored events
• Builds relationships through outreach to students in Catholic and other schools by supporting them in their extracurricular activities, i.e., attending school sports events and meeting with them at school(s).
• Prepares teens to receive the Sacraments of Initiation in coordination with the RCIA director.
• Prepares youth for Confirmation under the direction of the DRE
• Maintains registration, permission slips, and insurance records for all youth members.
• Adheres to approved budget for the operation of the program.
• Communicates extensively with parents and youth using diocesan-approved means
• Implements all Diocesan and Parish administrative policies, including Safe Environment, as directed or written in policy handbooks
• Attends Diocesan-sponsored meetings and events pertaining to Youth Ministry
• Works with Beaufort Deanery Youth Ministers in collaborative youth ministry
INTERACTIONS: This position is required to interact with the following:
• Director of Religious Education for approval of programs and program content
• Pastor for approval of non-diocesan-sponsored special events
• School Principal (in consultation) regarding the scheduling of parish and school events
• Parish Administrator in day-to-day activities of budgeting, expenditures, human resources, and resolution of problems.
• Parents, Parish Council and Congregation to ensure a viable youth ministry.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Active participant in the Catholic Church with a strong commitment to Jesus Christ and an interest in building the faith community.
• Strong familiarity with Scripture
• Ability to communicate the teachings of the Church
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products, e.g., Word and Excel.
• Excellent speaking and presentation skills.
• Bilingual (English and Spanish) is a plus.
ACCOUNTABILITY: This position reports to the Director of Religious Education