This position serves under the direction of the principal as a member of the administration. This position provides assistance with upholding and advancing the school's Catholic mission, instructional program, building administration, personnel/staffing, pupil services and school/community relations. The assistant principal has shared responsibilities with the principal and serves as the principal in her absence. The assistant principal may assume responsibilities as directed and supervised by the principal.
Vice Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively with the Principal in support of the Catholic mission of St. Pius V School.
- Assists in providing leadership for the overall instructional program including selection and support of instructional staff.
- Works collaboratively with all staff to strengthen the instructional program.
- Assists the principal in providing the staff with professional development.
- Supervises assigned teachers' lesson plans on a weekly basis.
- Meets with teachers about concerns and recommendations.
- Orders all supplies/textbooks for the school according to the approved budget throughout the school year and summer, coordinates delivery, inventory, distribution to designated classrooms.
- Conducts formal classroom professional observations in assigned classrooms in fall and spring as directed by the Dioscean Policy manual.
- Orders and oversees STAR test administration each year. Works with teachers to schedule tests, and prepare all materials for submission after testing. Analyze STAR test scores and meet with teachers to implement strategies to combat problem areas.
- Orders and oversees ACRE testing each year. With the principal, interpret the results and implement strategies to help raise test scores based on results.
- Assists principal in interviewing and selecting new faculty.
- As a member of NEASC, serves on a visiting committee as needed.
- Assists the principal in the implementation of a mentor program for new teachers. Meets with new faculty daily to help them adjust to a new job.
- Monitors curriculum changes dictated by the Catholic School Office, and keep all faculty informed.
- Meets with and offers guidance to graduating students and their parents in the selection of high schools and acts as a liaison with high school personnel. With the middle school team, writes recommendations for students, and assists in scheduling of High School Night. Compiles all recommendations and records and sends to the high schools with the administrative assistant.
Discipline & Student Safety:
- Assists in maintaining discipline throughout the building.
- Assists in the upkeep of the PBIS program and the documentation of behavioral infractions.
- Supervises the safety and well being of all students with drop off, recess, and dismissal.
- Participates in school disaster preparedness and safety information programs. Coordinates safety drills with the principal.
- Supervises administrative detention for students (e.g. in-school suspension). Keeps records of student disciplinary action and behavior plans.
- Supervises the monitoring of student attendance. Confers with teachers/parents concerning excessive attendance problems in coordination with the school nurse.
- Assists in the development of class schedules and scheduling of extracurricular activities.
- Assists with keeping the building schedules and adjusting them when activities or events arise.
- Works with Lighthouse Program Teacher in overseeing students on IEPs.
- Receives all requests for Providence College student work study, volunteers, and observations. Work with teachers to coordinate scheduling.
Other Administrative Tasks:
- Works with the principal and School Finance Committee in compiling the annual budget in relation to textbooks and assessments.
- Acts in a supportive role in working with parents, teachers, and the community to promote the effective flow of communication.
- SupervisesLighthouse Program coordinator in providing for students with special needs.
- Attends IEP meetings as Administration representative and advocates for students to get the services they are entitled to under IDEA.
- Participates in professional growth to improve skills related to the job.
- Attends diocesan principal meetings as directed by the principal.
- Assists the principal in updating the Student/Parent, Faculty/Staff handbooks on a yearly basis.
- Assists the principal with strategic planning and with NEASC accreditation.
- Oversees all Federal Title Funding that is available to private schools including conducting needs assessments, drafting program plans, submitting use of funds forms, and tracking budgets.
- Candidates should have relevant teaching experience
- Candidates should have a degree in educational leadership
- RI Administration certification
- Bachelor's degree in education
Providence, RI 02908