Head JV Basketball Coach
(Season starts in Nov 2023)
Mount Saint Joseph Academy, a Roman Catholic, college prep, all-girls academy in Montgomery County, PA, is seeking an innovative and collaborative head coach for a part-time position in the Athletic Department. The successful candidate will play a key role in training athletes and teams for success in their various athletic pursuits. He/she will help build young players' confidence, skill and potential to transform them into self-aware, strong individuals, in sports and in their daily lives. He/she will effectively interact with all types of audiences such as school administrators, colleagues, parents, students, and community members to build our reputation at the highest level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
All coaches are responsible for ensuring the fun and safe development of our athletes and teams in their chosen sport, understanding that our sports teams represent Mount Saint Joseph Academy (MSJA) in everything they do and everywhere they go. Coordinate the teams' efforts in training, practices, games, etc. Perform duties including but not limited to those listed below:
• Train a team of athletes on a constant basis for the ideal physical condition in their sport by using proven methods to help improve nutrition, muscle development, athletic skill and mental toughness.
• Teach individuals about everything related to the sport's rules and regulations to help athletes develop a high level of understanding of their chosen game.
• Create specific physical performance conditioning programs to increase athletic performance, confidence and team winning percentage.
• Evaluate team and individual athletic performance consistently using video, photography, data sheets and other means; address skills improvement during practice sessions.
• Schedule practice sessions with athletes, work with the schools to develop a game schedule during the season and ensure transportation and lodging are provided for travel when needed.
• Work with assistant coaches (if assigned) and other staff members to coordinate goals and strategies for the team(s).
• Inventory and ensure top quality of team equipment, supplies and facilities, such as uniforms, practice equipment, conditioning materials, game balls, fields, indoor game areas or courts. Work with the Athletic Director on any areas of need.
• Collect required paperwork (medical forms, permission slips, etc.) and submit to Athletic Director as needed.
• Report game statistics as required.
• Report any injuries, incidents, or concerns to the school immediately. Follow all protocols and directions for appropriate communication with affected persons (school administration, parents, emergency personnel, etc.).
• Demonstrated understanding of the fundamentals of the designated sport (rules, regulations, strategy of play, development tactics, safety, etc.)
• Demonstrated positive attitude and ability to lead a team in fitness, personal training and/or sports coaching
• Ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow oral and written instructions; ability to communicate effectively and efficiently
• Demonstrates proactive steps to ensure the safety and security of students, faculty and staff colleagues
• Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with other employees, students, parents and the general public that demonstrates courtesy, tact and diplomacy in dealing with others.
• Sensitivity to confidential information and a high standard of integrity
• Demonstrated good writing and oral communication skills
• Prolonged periods standing, walking, squatting, jogging, sitting throughout the working period
• Must be able to lift 25 pounds repeatedly
• Bachelor's degree in sports, recreation or another field
• At least two years of related experience required, preferably in a school environment
• CPR/First Aid Certified (or the ability to get certified)
Employee Classification: Exempt
Position Type: Part-time
Expected Hours of Work: Varies according to Team Schedule and Needs
Reports to: Athletic Director
Please contact: Kevin Nigro, Human Resources
Mount Saint Joseph Academy
120 W. Wissahickon Ave.
Flourtown, PA 19031