With a goal of protecting women in need, Gift of Mary welcomes women as they are, offering dignity, protection, and support. Through the guidance of our Blessed Mother, Mary, we strive to build meaningful relationships and work towards trust through our supportive efforts. We are here to welcome, protect, heal, educate, and evangelize the most vulnerable women of Pittsburgh.
A Missionary for Gift of Mary must be committed to the mission of catching the most vulnerable women that fall through the cracks of society. Missionaries will report directly to the Mission Integration Coordinator and will collaborate with Divine Mercy Parish, The Red Door, and its partners to ensure the most vulnerable women of Pittsburgh are able to utilize our programs to their greatest benefit. The missionary will be tasked with the responsibility of maintaining the Red Door women's center, food pantry, and Gift of Mary. The missionary will need to have excellent communication skills, be able to work in the environment of a startup company and be an effective team leader.
• Supporting: Support Mission Integration Coordinator on all evangelization efforts for the clients of the Red Door.
• Team player: Build team life through active participation in missionary prayer and community life.
• Training: Participating in hands-on training with case workers to give best support the Gift of Mary case workers.
• Communication: Within the nature of a small non-profit, constant communication means that frequent feedback will be offered to build better support for fellow missionaries and case workers.
• Serve: Staffing the Red Door women's center and assisting Red Door staff with daily needs for clientele.
• Evangelization: Missionaries will work with the poor in Pittsburgh to lead them through bible studies, the mass, and the RCIA process.
• Participation in parish life: Actively living out your Catholic faith through participation in Divine Mercy Parish activities such as: Return to the Lord, Sunday and daily Mass, reconciliation, etc.
• Networking: Assist the Case Workers in maintaining relationships with Bridge Outreach, Refuge for Women, Allegheny Link, etc.
• Development: Meeting weekly one-on-one with Mission Integration Coordinator to ensure support through the trying work in the Gift of Mary ministry.
Rule of Life
Missionaries follow a rule of life which enables them to live a spirit surrender to the ways the Lord desires to work.
• Prayer: Missionaries commit to daily mass, daily holy hour, confession at least once a month, regular spiritual direction, praying the liturgy of the hours once a day together as a team, and a team retreat twice a year. In addition to this, missionaries get one day per month set aside as a personal retreat day.
• Community: Missionaries commit weekly to a one-on-one personal check-in meeting, a formation meeting, a house meeting, house chores, and time set aside for team fun.
• Personal Integration: Missionaries commit to fasting from dating apps, limiting social media, taking care of mental and physical health, and modesty to honor their dignity as beloved daughters of the Father.
• The candidate must be a faith filled Catholic in good standing with the Church.
• Candidate must maintain spiritual maturity; being consistent in one's prayer life, regularly receiving the sacraments, and able to speak of one's relationship with Jesus.
• The candidate must have knowledge of the processes of evangelization and lifelong catechesis with excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• The candidate must maintain excellent written and verbal communication skills and must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom, and flip phones.
• The candidate must be able to frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds.
• Mission-driven and self-motivated; operate productively without day-to-day oversight. Well organized with strong attention to detail.
• Must have experience mentoring and accompanying people at different stages of their discipleship path.
• This position is only open to women 2+ years out of high school.
New missionaries are given comprehensive training, resources, and five weeks to fundraise their salary for the year. They work one on one with an experienced fundraising coach to ensure they get fully funded each mission year. This fundraising time can be extended as needs arise. The missionaries will be able to turn to the Mission Integration Coordinator for support and additional resources during this fundraising process.
Housing is provided for missionaries.
This position requires frequent evenings and/or weekend work and an unpredictable schedule. Employees of Catholic Church will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of Catholic Church. Employees will
not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Diocese of Pittsburgh or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
To learn more about our missionary program, visit www.giftofmary.org/missionaries
Applications are accepted throughout the year on a rolling basis. To apply, please send a resume and three references to [email protected]