Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
Reporting Functions: Reports to the Secretary of Administration.
Direct Reports: 2
Job Function: Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will assume a strategic role in the overall management of the Diocese of Allentown. The CFO will have primary day to day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities of the Diocese. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting and strategic planning,
Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Responsible for overseeing design and operation of overall financial control policies and procedures.
2) Analyze internal and external financial and economic trends and their likely impact on future operations and develop strategies to address as needed.
3) Lead all financial planning and reporting activities including:
• Completing the budget process including scheduling, template preparation, assumptions development, consolidation, and presentation to budget owners and others in leadership positions.
• Evaluating actual vs budget variances and work with budget owners to remedy any disparities and close gaps in budget performance.
• Preparing monthly financial performance reports and present results as requested.
4) Review all contracts, and other legal documents for financial implications, prior to execution.
5) Oversee all Diocesan investments in conjunction with the Investment Policy of the Diocese.
6) Oversee and coordinate with the Controller the preparation of the financial statements and overall financial reporting for the Diocese.
7) Monitor parish and school financial condition, provide guidance on pastoral planning decisions.
8) Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of Diocesan and parish accounting procedures and implements appropriate changes as identified.
9) Review with the Executive Director of Human Resources the provisions of the Diocesan lay retirement, health and dental benefits including acceptable self-insurance risk limits and the policies and procedures.
10) Reviews with the Executive Director of Human Resources the provisions of the pension and retirement benefit plans for the clergy of the Diocese.
11) Reviews with the Executive Director of Information Technology financial planning for the purchase of hardware, software, communications systems and office equipment systems.
12) Primarily point of contact for the Diocesan Finance Council and its various sub-committees.
13) Ensures compliance with the canonical rules required for business transactions.
1) Minimum of ten years of experience managing a professional financial and accounting staff; earlier experience as a CFO or Director of Finance with a public, private or not-for-profit Corporation.
2) Undergraduate degree in accounting, business administration, finance or economics; MBA or CPA a plus.
3) Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, practices and practical application of accounting systems.
4) Proven experience in the preparation of budgets, forecasts, management reports and financial analysis of operations.
1) Candidate must be a practicing Catholic in good standing, have a deep knowledge of the Catholic faith, and agree to live by the tenets of the Catholic faith, including in lifestyle and on personal social media.
2) The Chief Financial Officer must be a Roman Catholic, in communion with the Church according to the provisions of Canon 149, as revised in 1983.
3) High level communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of staff, clergy, external board members, donors and the media.
4) High energy level, flexible personality and ability to work well with a wide range of styles and personalities, both internally and externally.
5) Must have the ability to work collaboratively with initiative and flexibility. A strong sense of confidentiality and integrity is required.
6) Team-oriented, proactive and collaborative business partner with outstanding leadership skills and the ability to manage both professional and support staff.
7) Valid driver's license.
Physical Demands: The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk, and hear both in person and by telephone; frequent use of equipment that includes repetitive motions and computer eye fatigue. Occasionally required to reach and lift with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. FT 35 hours/week, Monday - Friday 8:30am to 4:30 pm. Some evening and weekend work is required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements.
Allentown, PA 18102