POSITION TITLE: CONTROLLER
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
REPORTS TO: VP, FINANCE
The function of the Controller is an integral part of the finance office and is responsible for coordinating and preparing financial reports, such as income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of historical and future income and expenses, in addition to other special reports that may be needed. The Controller also oversees the functions of gift accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, salary and hourly payroll, audit, budgeting and transportation. The position is both supervisory and hands-on within the finance office and reports directly to the VP, Finance.
General Accounting and Financial Reporting:
• Responsible for managing the accounting department, ensuring accurate and timely financial information and a customer service orientation;
• Preparing monthly financial statements and distributing to the department heads on a timely basis;
• Supervising student billing and collections, fixed asset accounting and general accounting operations;
• Supervising accounts payable function, including approving cash disbursement requests and monthly credit card bill for compliance with purchasing policy and accuracy of account code and obtaining W-9 forms and issuing any related annual 1099 forms;
• Supervising the payroll function including the review and approval of the semi-monthly and bi-weekly payrolls and related payroll tax returns and annual W-2's. Serves as the backup for processing payroll;
• Reviewing various account reconciliations on a monthly basis;
• Responsible for the hiring, training and development of accounting department staff;
• Assisting the VP, Finance in the preparation and monitoring of departmental budgets and forecasts;
• Communicating with administrators and department heads concerning budget vs. actual performance throughout the year and in preparation for planning for the next year.
• Formulating and communicating accounting policies to affected employees and ensure compliance with such policies.
• Developing accounting policies for each temporally restricted fund to ensure proper accounting for revenues and expenses.
• Identifying improvements in software applications, accounting processes and inter-department activities.
Investments, Insurance CSV and Annuities
• Prepares monthly reconciliation of investment accounts and records monthly activity.
• Prepare monthly reconciliation of CSV and Annuities payable - records monthly activity.
• Supervising all receipts, deposits and related activity including store sales
• Maintaining daily cash balances and review reports from bank daily;
• Reviewing and approving monthly bank account reconciliations.
• Managing all credit card activity from all sources including web site
• Maintains check signing and account access authorizations.
• Plays an integral role in managing the accounting for contributions and gifts whether in cash or pledged, restricted or unrestricted.
• Responsible for reviewing gift agreements from Development to ensure compliance with GAAP and School policies.
• At month end reconciles pledge receivable reports submitted by Development to the general ledger.
• Monthly prepares analysis to identify movement of permanently restricted funds to the appropriate investment account and sets up the related wire.
• Responsible for maintaining the record of the individual permanently restricted funds and segregating such funds by restricted purpose.
• Provides necessary data to Development for the preparation of stewardship reports.
• Responsible for maintaining the Blackbaud general ledger system including the chart of accounts and reports to end users.
• Apply patches and upgrades as needed.
• Design and implement special reports as requested.
• Ensures timely recording of all "not posted transactions", netting out of inter-fund accounts and locking down of accounting periods.
• Leads preparation of schedules and work papers for annual audit.
• Maintaining permanent office files for all audit schedules prepared by school.
• Other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Strong knowledge of not-for-profit GAAP including gift accounting and unrestricted vs. restricted activities.
• A CPA with a bachelor's degree in accounting with a minimum of 5 years' experience in non-profit accounting, including managerial experience, preferred.
• Ability to communicate effectively with school representatives, parents, students, and representatives from the business community.
• Working knowledge of business accounting policies, procedures, practices and software programs.
• Ability to supervise and manage multiple functions and activities.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
• Generally works in standard office conditions and climate.
• Works in a highly stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
• May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
In order to be considered for an interview, please submit the following information to the Office of Human Resources at [email protected] or mail to:
Joseph Dougherty, Sr. Director, Human Resources
St. Joseph's Preparatory School
1733 West Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Deadline: May 5, 2023
List of three references (contact info only)
For information on our mission and characteristics of the school, please visit our website at www.sjprep.org
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER