Original Job Posting
Who We Are
American Philanthropic is a rapidly growing, national consulting and services firm whose mission is to strengthen civil society by helping nonprofits and other mission-oriented organizations grow. Founded in 2009, AmPhil employs more than 100 full-time staff. As a firm, we celebrate America’s Western heritage, from Greece, Rome, and the Renaissance all the way to the founding principles of the United States.
What You’ll Do
AmPhil’s Chief Growth Officer (CGO) drives the firm’s business growth strategy, developing and implementing relationship-centric business development, sales, and marketing plans that enable AmPhil to meet its aggressive growth goals. The CGO is a member of the firm’s executive leadership team and manages a growing division that currently includes eight full-time staff.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Driving strategy and execution for the firm’s existing business development, marketing, and thought leadership functions;
- Driving growth in qualified business opportunities and leads;
- Developing and launching a sales strategy for the firm;
- Planning, implementing, and managing go-to-market strategies for priority service divisions and offerings across the firm;
- Training staff across the company in successful sales and business development techniques and equipping them for success with strong tools, systems, and collateral;
- Overseeing rollout of firm rebrand;
- Developing and maintaining strategic partnerships;
- Managing division, including budget, staff, and performance against division goals; and
- Helping provide executive leadership for the firm as a whole;
What We’re Looking For
Experience: The ideal candidate will have 10+ years of experience in sales, business development, fundraising, or marketing, including time spent in a leadership management role. Familiarity with the nonprofit landscape and a liberal arts background are strongly preferred. All candidates must demonstrate a strategic mindset, have a strong track record of putting plans into execution, be able to execute multiple concurrent strategies with diligence and accuracy, and possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Principles: We’re looking for someone excited and passionate about our mission of strengthening civil society and eager to serve more clients that share this commitment. Crucially, this passion must translate into practical action: a strong work ethic, a humble manner, and a willingness to go above and beyond when necessary to help our clients and company succeed and grow.
Curiosity: We want to work with people who are curious about the world, and who want to learn and talk about contemporary American political, cultural, sociological, and economic discourse (especially in conjunction with how those realms affect civil society). The ideal candidate is also a self-starter: someone eager to discover ways to do their job better and to grow professionally and personally.
Diligence: We believe excellence is the result of doing the right things in the right way, consistently and over time. So, we look for people who possess the prudence and the discipline to take ownership of projects, accomplish tasks, strive for excellence, manage up to others, and make consistent progress with minimal supervision.
Conviviality: We want people with strong interpersonal and communication skills, and a capacity to build personal relationships of trust and respect with clients and colleagues. The ideal candidate possesses both the desire and the ability to make a positive contribution to a company culture that values honesty, hard work, friendship, and good humor.
What You’ll Love
Mission: Everything we do is guided by our mission to strengthen civil society. We put our clients first, and you will get to come alongside hundreds of nonprofits and donors who do work that leads to human flourishing and stronger communities.
Influence: You have the opportunity to stand out quickly and demonstrate your value, as employees are given a high degree of ownership over their work. We want you to do work you’re proud of, and to be recognized for it.
Growth: Every employee belongs to a group that is entrusted with crucial strategic growth initiatives. You’ll help the company as a whole grow substantially over the next few years as we execute our company growth strategies.
Flexibility: We have offices in Phoenix, Denver, Chicago, and Philadelphia. You have the option to work out of one of our beautiful office spaces or to work remotely. Likewise, we understand you have a life outside of work and trust you to arrange your schedule to manage all your responsibilities.
Practical Wisdom: We are guided by common sense and practical wisdom, not bureaucracy or trite slogans. We invite employees to use the totality of their personhood in approaching their work and relationships, giving you significant freedom to execute responsibilities in line with your interests and talents.
Perks: Intellectually curious people make the best employees. We want you to continue developing the life of the mind and your own interests—even if they relate only loosely to your specific responsibilities. Among other benefits, all our employees are provided with a yearly stipend for subscriptions to enhance your learning.
Competitive Compensation: We pay competitive market rates and have a generous benefits package and holiday/PTO schedule.
- Cover letter that outlines 1) your interest in the position 2) how your values align with our mission 3) a highlight of your professional and/or personal achievements that have particular relevance to your ability to perform the role’s duties with excellence
- Writing sample/work product from professional experience
- Three professional references
- Optional: portfolio of work that demonstrates your marketing expertise