Job Title Client / Patient Advocate
Classification Staff | Member of Client Services Team
Reports to Client Services Director and Client Resource Manager
This Advocate plays a dual role at A Woman's Concern. She is both Patient Advocate, advocating for the needs of the patients who attend medical services, as well as Client Advocate, supporting clients who are enrolled in our Education program.
Under the general supervision of the Client Services Director, the Patient Advocate ensures that patients receive the information and services needed at each medical appointment using the FOCUS
model. Provides professional and truthful information that offers peace of mind to women facing the possibility of a planned or unplanned pregnancy, empowering each patient with critical lifesaving information, in love.
Under the general supervision of the Client Resource Manager, the Client Advocate ensures that each client who joins our Strong Families Parenting Education Program receives the highest quality education and support throughout the pregnancy and the first year of parenting.
The Client Advocate directly provides education, active listening, community referrals and documentation of case visits. The Client Advocate is not a professional counselor, but is trained to listen and offer support by way of mentorship and community agency referrals, when needed. This position is a part of the team and is expected to model professional standards of care to each client who comes to A Woman's Concern.
• Direct patient contact during pregnancy test confirmation appointment, medical and social service community referrals.
• Oversees Advocate duties of patient process and collaborates with Nurse and Ultrasound sonographer during confirmation of pregnancy medical appointments. Ensures accurate implementation of FOCUS
model using scripts and training provided. Offers care and support to each patient to help her navigate her pregnancy decision.
• Refers patients for outside agency support and schedules repeat medical appointments, as needed. Ensures the ministry upholds patient privacy per applicable laws and regulations.
• Documents patient information and counseling notes and completes Real Alternatives submissions immediately after appointment.
• Direct client contact including facilitating Parenting Education classes and mentorship. Providing social service referrals when needed.
• Document client information and session notes.
• Complete Real Alternatives submissions immediately after service is provided.
• Regularly maintain contact and actively engage with clients who are assigned to them for follow up, data base and appropriate file updates.
• Works with Navigation Intake to help client reach goals.
• Willing to perform various staff duties, ensuring the needs of the ministry are met.
• Works as part of a team to support both clients and volunteers; understands that every role is vital to A Woman's Concern ministry and takes pride in making sure each facet of the job is done with attention to detail.
• Enhances professional and personal knowledge of pregnancy and parenting skills on an ongoing and continuing basis through formal training, seminars, programs, literature search, networking and benchmarking.
• Complies with annual Child Abuse Clearance renewals and trainings.
• Attends all staff, departmental and volunteer meetings.
- Passionately pro-life; expresses full agreement with and acts in concert with A Woman's Concern's Mission Statement.
- Respects confidentiality and privacy per applicable laws and regulations.
- Demonstrates behaviors that align with A Woman's Concern's values.
- Complies with the policies and procedures of A Woman's Concern.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and organization skills.
- Dependable, stable and capable of following through on commitments.
- Committed to arriving early for each shift and/or staff meeting.
- Maintains positive attitude and self-care.
- Excellent team oriented and relationship skills.
- Flexible, self-starter and ability to work independently and develop and execute plans with
- Adept with current technology and able to learn new skills.
Activities in performance of duties include sitting, standing, walking, climbing stairs, lifting up to 10lbs, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, keystroking on a keyboard or similar device, talking, hearing and seeing.