Employee Classification: Exempt
Position Type: Full-time
Expected Hours of Work: Monday - Friday (7:45-3:30pm) and other days as needed
Reports to: Principal (Consults with President)
Under the supervision of the Principal, the campus minister helps create an environment which encourages and guides all members to contribute to the Catholic identity of MSJA and the formation of a faith community which responds to the spiritual needs of the students, teachers, staff and parents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
In collaboration with the administration, faculty and staff, parents, students, Sisters of Saint Joseph, and local parishes, the campus minister brings to life a campus rich in the school's mission and charism, spiritual growth, prayer, sacramental experiences, student life and service in order to prepare leaders in service for the Church and society.
Areas of Responsibility include:
Sacramental Life of the School Community
• Coordinates liturgical celebrations during school hours and outside of the school day
• Coordinates school prayers
• Organizes liturgical ministers; extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist, lectors, and all other students involved with liturgical celebrations
• Offers Communion Services on a regular basis
• Provides for other prayer services (Stations of the Cross, etc.)
• Provides opportunities for students, staff and faculty to celebrate the sacrament of Reconciliation
• Organizes, plans and implements an effective retreat program for students, faculty, and staff that contributes to community building, faith development, and leadership enrichment
o Organizes, plans and implements Unitas, the overnight Senior Retreat, three times during the year along with the training retreat for juniors to serve as retreat leaders
o Coordinates the colleague retreat
o Ensures cleanliness of retreat areas before and after each retreat.
• Assists with the new student orientation
• Collaborates in the planning of Founders' Day, Senior Tree Trimming, Junior Ring Mass, Baccalaureate/Commencement
• Collaborates with Dean of Student Life in areas linked to mission including, but not limited to, clubs/activities, events ensure mission alignment and collaboration
• Collaborates with Student Life Office
• Coordinates service opportunities at various locations in surrounding area
• Participates and guides in collecting feedback from community members to improve areas of responsibility, particularly student experience related to campus ministry
• Coordinates the use of the chapel, provides a neat and aesthetically pleasing environment for use by the school community
• Teaches one credit of theology
• Minimum of a B.A. in Theology or Religious studies
• Must be an active, practicing Catholic.
• Background in education is preferred.
• Background in liturgical music preferred.
• Must be willing to work flexible hours (nights and weekends, retreat program will require you to be away from home for several days, several times per year).
• Must be able to lift 15 pounds
• Bachelor's degree
• At least two years of related experience required, preferably in a school environment