GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Assists the Pastor in the prudent stewardship of the parishes financial and capital resources and has regular communication with the bookkeeper at the school. Ensures the effectiveness of parish operations, communicating with the Pastor, department heads, and various parish councils and committees as needed. In conjunction with the bookkeeper, handles all accounting procedures for parish.
In coordination with the Pastor and according to Archdiocesan practices, the Business Manager:
• Maintains an accurate filing, recordkeeping, and reporting system for all parish financial matters. Prepares monthly, quarterly and year end reports for parish and Archdiocese as needed.
• Administers a cash flow management system with purchasing and payment schedules clearly defined.
• Assists in the planning of financial stewardship and long-range planning efforts.
• Prepares, administers, and reviews the budget process in collaboration with the Pastor.
• Monitors the collection, counting, recording, and depositing of parish revenue from all sources.
• Responsible for monitoring and implementing internal controls.
• Serves as a parish contact with financial institutions and the Archdiocese.
• Responsible for understanding and maintaining Archdiocesan policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Responsible for all bookkeeping duties in the absence of a bookkeeper, which includes but is not limited to payroll and benefits processing, accounts payable, receivable, bank reconciliation, employee benefits, Parish census reporting and reconciling with database, rental property reporting, Archdiocese and Government reporting.
• Communicates with vendors and assists in setting up contracts.
• Leads & supports the efficient operation of the parish office and supervises volunteers as needed.
• Oversees & maintains the management of parish records & directory.
• Administers computer systems and software which includes updates and training of staff on numerous Archdiocese and Parish systems, e.g., Quickbooks, Parishsoft, Microsoft Teams.
• Coordinates parish liability, property insurance, and workers' compensation in collaboration with Archdiocesan insurance programs. Coordinates and prepares parish response to liabilities and legal concerns in collaboration with Archdiocesan offices as appropriate.
• Assists with hiring and selection of personnel/volunteers, administers parish salary and benefit programs. Consults with appropriate parish/Archdiocesan resources to ensure personnel actions are appropriate and consistent with Archdiocesan personnel guidelines.
• Works with the Pastor (and sometimes the Principal of the school) in the development & stewardship activities of the parish, including marketing, public relations, communications, grant writing, fundraising, and stewardship.
Campus Management Responsibilities:
• With the Pastor solicits and reviews bids and quotes and negotiates facilities contracts.
• Maintains security of parish property (keys, files, etc.)
• Serves as a helpful resource to parish organizations and the Archdiocese.
• Responsible for fostering a safe and welcoming environment.
• Maintains good working relations and effective communication between the parish community, various groups, and outside authorities. Consults with and advises Pastor on business and administrative matters that affect the parish and school.
• Participates in parish and Archdiocesan programs and activities as directed by the Pastor. Attends staff, Archdiocesan, and council meetings as required.
• Handles other duties as assigned.
JOB SCOPE: Position encounters frequently new and varied work situations with a high degree of complexity. Some formal policies and procedures exist to govern work. Position operates independently with minimal supervision.
Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization, either by telephone or in person. Contacts frequently contain confidential/sensitive matters always necessitating discretion. Contacts are made at both the supervisor's request and on the employee's own initiative.
Working knowledge of the Spanish language preferred.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Individuals must also be able to be creative, use independent judgment and take action to solve problems, function as a team member, and handle presentations. Service orientation, organizational and public relations skills, and ability to negotiate are important. Position requires highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to maintain confidentiality. Knowledge of required accounting procedures for parishes and schools. Proficiency with PC software, calculator and all basic office equipment is required, including experience with spreadsheet, word processing, accounting and report writing software. Knowledge of design of technology systems in business software and ability to frequently perform advanced math and basic programming.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
B.A. degree specializing in Accounting/Business Administration is preferred, along with 5 years financial, accounting, office management, human resources and facilities management experience. Accounting experience must include budget preparation, payroll, and data entry/management with double entry accounting system. Previous supervisory experience preferred. Experience with Microsoft Office Suite & CRM systems required. Practicing Catholic preferred. Bilingual in Spanish preferred. Valid driver's license required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, stoop, finger, talk, reach, feel, sit, climb, grasp, hear and perform repetitive motions of the hands/wrists. Lifts and moves items up to 30 pounds.
Work is performed mostly in an office setting. Employees are required to do extensive close computer work, as well as sit for long periods of time and attend morning, evening or weekend meetings.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (The essential functions/major responsibilities listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.)
Volunteers. And collaborates with clerical staff