Job Title: Theology Teacher for 2023-2024
Reports To: Principal
Classification: Exempt/Full-time/10 months
We are looking for someone with a passion for educational ministry, a commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy and curricula, and a zeal for working with low socio-economic, diverse teenagers. We need someone ready to work in collaboration with the 9th Grade Level Team to ensure high rigor and student engagement.
The Theology teacher at De La Salle North Catholic High School must have a passion for Catholic education and ministry, a desire to embrace the Lasallian dual charism of Faith and Zeal, and a drive to build a strong Catholic Theology team ready to learn from and instruct our diverse student body.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Observe professional hours aligned to the specifics of the periods assigned, to ensure some time either before school or after to work with students
* Follow all school guidelines regarding professional work alongside our students, such as attendance, safety drills, grading, and classroom management
* Follow all school guidelines regarding field trip permissions, transportation, and vigilance
* Ensure safe environment for students
* Fulfill weekly lunch-time prefect duties as part of prescribed duties with the Grade Level Team
* Be present at Department, Level Team, and Staff meetings, as well as all masses, school day assemblies, staff retreats, and staff celebrations, unless approved by supervisor
* Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, as well as methods of instruction to address department standards
* Compose annual, unit, and lesson plans
* Utilize effective research-based instruction and assessment and keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional development
* Learn about and integrate Google Classroom and 21st century skills as a regular feature of instruction
* Engage in peer-to-peer classroom observation and support to build curricular and instructional expertise within the whole team
* Commit to serving all students, including students with learning differences, in the context of the regular education classroom using methods outlined in Learning Support Agreements or with support from counselors
* Build and maintain positive relationships with students and instructional team
* Communicate effectively and consistently with families/student support systems
* Help with prefecting duties and complete service requirements determined by building administration
* Other duties as assigned
* Master's degree in Theology from a Catholic university
* Possess a working knowledge of the US Catholic Bishops' Curriculum Framework for Catechetical Materials
* Strong communication skills, oral and written
* Experience in teaching at all levels of high school
* Experience working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds
* Bilingual in Spanish
* Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position
* Must be able to constantly move about the office and classroom to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
* Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
* Must be able to occasionally position self to maintain computers and other office equipment, including under desks
* Must be able to constantly communicate with students/parents/other staff to convey student academic information
* Must be able to occasionally move or lift up to ten pounds of AV equipment or school supplies
* Must be able to occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions
SALARY AND BENEFITS
DOE. Generous benefits package includes: 2 weeks paid sick time, medical/dental/vision with a shared premium cost, employer-paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance, employee-paid voluntary insurance plans, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan.
Please email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Approximate start date is August 21, 2023. Open acceptance of applications until the position is filled. Successful completion of a background check and proof of full COVID vaccination (or a religious or medical exception) are conditions of employment.
Portland, OR 97218