Original Job Posting
De La Salle North Catholic High School
Job Location: In-office at headquarters in Portland, Oregon
Compensation Range: Compensation is negotiable depending on experience
ABOUT DE LA SALLE NORTH CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL:
Located in Portland, Oregon, De La Salle North Catholic High School is a school in the Lasallian tradition and operates within the value system evolved from its founder, Saint John Baptist De La Salle. As a school within the system of the San Francisco New Orleans District, the school is governed by a Board of Trustees, using the Carver model of policy governance. The school’s policies and operations are based on the value system of the Lasallian Five Core Principles (Presence of God; Respect for All Persons; Inclusive Community; Quality Education; Concern for the Poor and Social Justice) derived from the Christian gospel and the tradition of the De La Salle Christian Brothers.
The school serves a racially diverse population of capable, motivated, and interested college-bound students from the Portland area who would not otherwise have access to a faith-based, rigorous college-preparatory education. The school’s goal is to develop tomorrow’s community leaders by making high-quality education accessible to motivated young people in a learning environment that values cultural, spiritual, and ethnic diversity. It is the most diverse private high school in Oregon, and over 95% of graduates are accepted into college.
De La Salle North Catholic High School is also part of the national Cristo Rey Network (CRN), which uses a rigorous academic model, supported by best practices in instruction and assessment, to prepare students with a broad range of intellectual abilities for college and life. Further, CRN schools employ an innovative Corporate Work Study Program that provides students with real-world work experiences. In this highly unique model, every CRN student works an average of five days a month to fund the majority of her or his schooling, gain job experience, grow in self-confidence, and realize the relevance of this education. Students work in various corporate and business settings, including law firms, banks, hospitals, architectural companies, consumer brands, software companies, universities, and other businesses.
For more information on De La Salle North Catholic High School, the San Francisco New Orleans Lasallian District, or the Cristo Rey Network, please visit www.delasallenorth.org, www.delasalle.org, and www.cristoreynetwork.org.
OVERVIEW OF THE PRESIDENT’S ROLE:
We are seeking a skilled leader who is passionate about the Lasallian tradition of education and the Cristo Rey business model. The president will be the chief executive officer, having overall responsibility for the management of De La Salle North Catholic High School, reporting to the Board of Trustees. The president will also lead the school in the development, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of an exceptional academic program that supports and promotes the school’s Lasallian mission and values with special emphasis on the Corporate Work Study Program and the religious and spiritual orientation of the school. The president must be Catholic.
The President (as CEO of the school) is hired by and accountable to the school’s Board of Trustees, which operates with a Policy Governance® model. The Board of Trustees is responsible to the Lasallian Education Corporation (the oversight entity of the De La Salle Christian Brothers of the District of San Francisco New Orleans).
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PRESIDENT:
· Strategic execution capabilities and the maturity and wisdom required to optimize Board members’ engagement in the mission
· Report regularly to the Board of Trustees within the parameters and principles of Policy Governance®
· Oversee and collaborate with the principal in the implementation of all that involves the academic and student services of the school
· Oversee and collaborate with Finance Officer to create an annual operating budget, foster strict fiscal measures, and ensure an annual independent audit of the school’s financial results
· Model effective leadership before staff and faculty alike, and a willingness to foster equitable working relationships built on trust
· Partner with the De La Salle Christian Brothers and Cristo Rey Network to create and operationalize a five-year strategic plan in support of the school’s ENDs Policies
· Develop a comprehensive talent management plan to attract, develop, grow, and retain faculty and staff
· Executive leadership presence to effectively work with business leaders to grow Corporate Work Study partnerships to place students in paying jobs
ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE OF THE PRESIDENT:
· Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders and build creative and mutually beneficial relationships within the philanthropic, corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors
· Proven fundraising and/or revenue-generating success in for-profit businesses, nonprofit sector, or foundations
· Critical thinking and problem-solving skills with evidence of enhancing an organization’s financial strength and sustainability as a going concern
· Executive presence to inspire and drive organizational and professional confidence, passion, and persistence in an ambitious, fast-paced, and results-oriented period of growth in a positive work environment
· Proven ability to communicate and motivate others to integrate a faith-based orientation into all aspects of their educational goals
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE OF THE PRESIDENT:
· Awareness of and commitment to the Catholic traditions of education, service, and social justice, the credibility to lead and represent a Catholic organization with passion, integrity, and the facility for working well with diverse Catholic church leaders, lay and clerical persons
· Significant visionary leadership and management experience, with demonstrated success in addressing immediate organizational needs while driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from all stakeholders
· Bachelor’s degree in communications arts, education, or school administration – Graduate degree preferred
· Preferred experience as an educational leader with a sensible perspective
· Preferred experience as a leader in business leading large diverse teams of employees with experience delivering positive financial results
If you have the requested background and a passion for the mission of this school, we invite you to apply. De La Salle North Catholic High School requires a completed employment application (cover letter and resumé) along with a statement explaining why you believe you are a match for this unique opportunity to be instrumental in leading a Lasallian/Cristo Rey high school, your educational beliefs, your faith beliefs, and your vision for De La Salle North Catholic High School.
About Motus Recruiting and Staffing, Inc.
Founded in 2006, Motus is an award-winning recruiting and staffing firm in the Pacific Northwest, specializing in professional services and technology solutions. We are a group of people who not only recognize the importance of representation, but actively fight for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. Our goal is to educate organizations on the importance of DEI when hiring, promoting, and supporting diverse employees. We are calling organizations to demonstrate their commitment to DEI by being intentional about whom they hire.