Job Title: Physics Teacher for 2022-2023
Reports To: Principal
Teach Conceptual Physics (9th Grade) and AP Physics (12th grade).
We are actively seeking someone who will transform the science learning experience and who will inspire students who are frequently left behind in this field. We are looking for someone who has a desire to be part of a Lasallian Catholic educational community, has a passion for hands-on science instruction, a commitment to an instructional team, and a zeal for working with high-poverty, diverse teenagers.
De La Salle North Catholic High School provides a college-preparatory high school education to underserved students from the Portland area. Our goal is to develop tomorrow's community leaders by making high-quality education accessible to motivated young people in a learning environment that values cultural, spiritual, and ethnic diversity. Our educational approach provides each student with the opportunity to succeed through small classes, high expectations, and active participation in our Corporate Work Study Program affiliated with the nationally-recognized Cristo Rey Network.
* Observe professional hours aligned to the specifics of the periods assigned, to ensure some time either before school or after to work with students
* Fulfill weekly lunch-time prefect duties as part of prescribed duties with the 9th Grade Level Team
* Be present at Department and 9th Grade Level Team meetings, as well as all staff meetings, staff retreats, and staff celebrations, unless approved by supervisor
* Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Use/revise existing annual, unit, and lesson plans
* Commit to serving all students, including students with learning differences in the context of the regular education classroom using methods outlined in Learning Support Agreements or with support from counselors
* Build and maintain positive relationships with students and instructional team
* Help with vigilance at school assemblies, prayer services/masses, and other class or school gatherings
* Communicate effectively with families
* Ensure safe storage and accounting of classroom resources, e.g., textbooks, calculators, or project materials
* Other duties as assigned
* Bachelor's Degree in Physics or a related field. Master's preferred.
* Possess or be working toward an Oregon teaching license in the subject area of instruction or related field
* Experience working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds
* Strong communication skills, oral and written
* Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position.
* Must be able to constantly move about office/classroom to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
* Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
* Must be able to occasionally position self to maintain computers and other office equipment, including under desks.
* Must be able to constantly communicate with students/parents/other staff to convey student academic information.
* Must be able to occasionally move or lift up to ten pounds of AV equipment or school supplies.
* Must be able to occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions
Salary and Benefits: DOE. Generous benefits package includes: 2 weeks paid sick time, paid holidays, medical/dental/vision with a shared premium cost, employer-paid life insurance. long-term disability insurance, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP), employee-paid voluntary insurance plans, and a 403(b) retirement savings plan.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] Start date August 22, 2022. Open acceptance of applications until position is filled. Successful completion of background check is a condition of employment.