Position Summary: The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Mission Advancement and is responsible for managing and disseminating communications on behalf of the Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon. The ultimate charge of the Communications
Department is to inspire and inform the faithful in Western Oregon. This goal is met through effective management, identifying, telling, and amplifying the powerful and inspirational stories of our priests, seminarians, lay ministers, and the people of God. The Communications Manager is charged with reporting and informing constituents of the relevant current events that affect the Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon and the Catholic Church world-wide.
1. Refining, reinforcing, and advancing Archdiocesan key messages and initiatives through all relevant content formats.
2. Ensuring that Archdiocesan and digital media strategies and tactics adhere to, and even advance, relevant national diocesan best practices.
3. Overseeing all aspects of Archdiocesan media relations function, including managing inbound media inquiries and proactively building and tapping into national and local media relationships.
4. Ensuring compliance with relevant policies and best practices pertaining to communications, editorial content, press releases, media relations, digital media, use of name and proprietary content.
5. Setting the strategic direction for and overseeing the operation of the official Archdiocese website, its main and social media platforms.
6. Overseeing and managing strategic vendor relationships, including with respect to the website, mobile app, social media, asset storage and management, photography, music, and others.
7. Cooperating closely with the offices to ensure consistent and complementary strategic plans with overall archdiocesan outreach and communications.
8. Serving as archdiocese primary point of contact with the outside entities.
9. Serving as the primary escalation point for content-related inquiries and requests from individuals communicating on behalf of parishes, schools, affiliates, and Western Oregon Catholic communities.
10. Assisting the Director of Mission Advancement with special communications projects and issues.
11. Collaborating with relevant stakeholders to set and manage the strategic and creative direction of our live video streaming function.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Bachelor's degree and 6 to 8 years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills and presence at all levels and for all audiences.
3. Ability to influence people, solve problems, troubleshoot, think creatively, and resolve conflicts.
4. Ability to strike the right balance between supervising, coaching, rolling up your sleeves, and leading by example.
5. Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
6. Demonstrated editorial and storytelling skills.
7. Proficient bilingual in Spanish/English including speaking, writing, and translating.
8. Ability to communicate with diverse audience across all mediums per our correspondence.
9. Capacity to write and synthesize complex materials and communicate technical information in a manner easily understood by a broad audience.
10. Strategic expertise in the media relations field including expertise and vision in the digital media landscape.
11. Understanding of brand management principles.
12. Demonstrated passion for our Catholic faith.
13. Proven leadership skills, with managerial experience preferred and a commitment to promoting and supporting an environment of diversity and inclusion.
14. The ability to work well with people at all levels.
15. Creative thinking skills and a solutions-oriented approach to challenges.
16. Understanding of the complexities of media and television environments.
17. The highest standards of accuracy and attention to detail.
18. Demonstrated sound judgment in situations that require independent decision making, problem.
19. Willingness to work nights and weekends.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, sit, hear, and use repetitive motion of the hands/wrists. Lifts and moves items up to 15 pounds.