Assistant Director for Mission and Identity
The Jesuit Retreat Center is currently seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Director of Mission and Identity. This is a part-time (approximately 20 hours per week) position reporting to the JRC Director of Mission and Identity. This is primarily a remote position (in Cleveland/Northeast Ohio) with some time in-person at the Jesuit Retreat Center. This position will include some evening and occasional weekend hours.
This role has responsibility for two important aspects of the ministry of the Jesuit Retreat Center:
1) Lay Leadership Program (75 - 80%) - this is an array of programs established in the last decade to bring the gift of Ignatian spirituality and form Ignatian leaders in the greater Cleveland area and Northeast Ohio region. The Assistant Director will have primary responsibility for reactivating these programs, as well as visioning and creating new programs. Some programs are hosted at parishes or other institutions, some are held at JRC and in this new era, some may be offered virtually. He/she will promote these programs to local church communities and other organizations and will gather a team of presenters to deliver and facilitate them.
2) Spiritual Direction (20 - 25%) - serve as the point person for requests for spiritual direction offered through the Jesuit Retreat Center. This role will connect those requesting a spiritual director with those affiliated with JRC.
In both of these areas, and under the supervision of the Director of Mission and Identity, will have some coordination with the Director of Groups and Programs.
The ideal candidate will:
• Have a background in Ignatian Spirituality.
• Be certified (or in process of certification) as a spiritual director.
• Be aligned with the mission and identity of the Jesuit Retreat Center as a work of the Midwest Province of the Society of Jesus.
• Have a passion for the ministry of the Spiritual Exercises in service to the church.
• Have strong written and spoken communication skills.
• Be a self-starter and capable of working primarily independently, while also being able to manage relationships with other JRC staff and program volunteers and presenters.
• Have experience in design and implementation of programs.
• Be comfortable in outreach to parishes and other groups to promote programs and identify needs and opportunities in Ignatian Spirituality.
• Be comfortable with an array of technology, from email to Microsoft Office, cloud storage (Dropbox) to video communications (Zoom).
This is an ideal position for someone who is currently employed and looking for additional challenges and opportunities, or someone who is currently engaged in ministry in spiritual direction or retreat program or is someone retired but looking to utilize their skills and background.
Interested candidates should send a resume and a cover letter detailing interest in the position via email to Bill Hobbs, Director of the Jesuit Retreat Center. Applications will be reviewed as received and the position will remain open until filled. Ideally, the new coordinator would begin in late spring - early summer.
Parma, OH 44134