Walsh University is seeking a dynamic, energetic, and passionate individual who is enthusiastic about the environment found on a private, values based, Catholic liberal arts campus for the position of Dean of the DeVille School of Business (DSoB). The Dean of DSoB will provide strategic leadership to achieve the University and DSoB's strategic goals. This role will enhance the School's academic reputation, provide an outstanding student experience, and ensure an affirming environment for faculty and staff development. The Dean serves as the chief academic leader of the DeVille School of Business, reporting directly to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, (VPAA) and represents DSoB in all academic and other pertinent matters.
As a member of the VPAA leadership team providing university-wide leadership, the Dean of DSoB works effectively within a shared governance model with other University leaders, including the other school Deans, faculty, and members of the President's cabinet. In addition, the DSoB Dean should work closely with external partners to develop focused and long-lasting relationships that support the growth of the School and University goals and objectives. The DSoB Dean is responsible for the human, fiscal and strategic resources for the Undergraduate Business Programs, Graduate Business Programs, and the Garage: Nolan Family Center for Innovation.
The Dean of the DeVille School of Business plays a critical role in advancing the Catholic mission of Walsh University as well. Walsh University is aligned with the teachings of the Catholic Church. Walsh is physically located within the Diocese of Youngstown and is mindful of the strategic goals of the Bishop who is closely connected to the university. School Deans are expected to help the university create a work environment aligned with the Catholic worldview and consistent with our mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The DSoB Dean is responsible for the following:
• Enhance the inclusive culture to ensure that faculty, staff, and students from all backgrounds, countries, and cultures are welcomed and supported;
• Assure cross-enterprise coordination of efforts by modeling collaboration;
• Provide strategic and tactical oversight of all programs within the DSoB;
• Lead strategic hiring to foster mission alignment, intellectual contribution to the DSoB, collegial engagement as a community and leadership;
• Participate in strategic fund-raising efforts and relationship building with internal and external stakeholders;
• Engage robustly in institutional strategic planning and execution of such plans;
• Provide ongoing leadership, mentoring and coaching for DSoB leadership;
• Make decisions relative to application of university and program policies;
• Manage accreditation compliance, reporting and site visits strategically;
• Ensure professional behaviors and engagement by all DSoB employees at all times;
• Manage annual faculty and staff performance reviews to ensure compliance with academic and code of ethics standards as outlined in the faculty and employee handbooks;
• Manage faculty performance portfolios as they occur to ensure compliance with academic and code of ethics standards as outlined in the faculty and employee handbooks;
• Coordinate efforts to engage faculty and staff to participate in admission events, opening day events, matriculation, commencement, enrichment week and other key university events designed to foster community and celebrate our students;
• Engage the local, regional and national community to advance the DSoB through strategic partnerships, collaborations and projects;
• Execute fiscal decisions with institutional and DSoB needs in mind;
• Prepare annual budget requests for the DSoB and work collaboratively with the VPAA to craft final budget requests for the CFO;
• Work collaboratively with the VPAA and other Deans as needed to advance the mission of the university and manage challenges as they occur; and
• Build partnerships with alumni and business leaders that will enhance student learning and career outcomes and provide new resources for the DSoB.
Required Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
Must understand and support the Mission, Vision and Code of Ethical Conduct of Walsh University, as a Catholic higher education university as expressed in Ex Corde Ecclesiae, and possess the following:
• Terminal degree from an accredited institution in a represented discipline of DSoB;
• Ten years of administrative experience in higher education at the level of a chair or above in a supervisory capacity. Must qualify for appointment at the rank of professor;
• Ongoing commitment to supporting excellence in teaching;
• Demonstrated effective leadership, collaboration and communication skills;
• Proven ability to marshal internal and external resources and organize faculty and external constituencies for implementation of University's mission and strategic plans;
• Accomplishments that demonstrate knowledge of current and emerging trends in higher education and the business landscape that support excellence for faculty, academic programs, and student success;
• Demonstrated experience leading at operational and strategic levels;
• Comprehensive knowledge of assessment in higher education;
• Practical knowledge of technology tools that are used in the functioning of higher education institutions;
• Excellent communication skills that enable the dean to articulate the vision, mission, and needs of the DSoB to multiple internal and external constituencies;
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills needed to manage a multi-unit, multi-disciplinary academic unit;
• Effective budget management skills to include allocation of funds based on strategic priorities, promotion of operational efficiencies, and development of thorough and accurate budget reporting;
• Ability to build consensus and collegiality among faculty and staff with disparate interests and sometimes competing demands;
• Ability to evaluate staff to promote ongoing professional development;
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously; and
• Commitment to the Walsh University mission, core values, code of ethical conduct and adherence to Ex Corde Ecclesiae.
Walsh University is located in North Canton, Ohio. Walsh University is an independent, coeducational Catholic, liberal arts and sciences institution. Founded by the Brothers of Christian Instruction, Walsh University is dedicated to educating its students to become leaders in service to others through a values-based education with an international perspective in the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Walsh University believes in the desirability of a small university that promotes academic excellence, a diverse community and close student-teacher interactions. The University provides its students a higher education that fosters critical thinking, effective communication, spiritual growth, and personal, professional and cultural development. Walsh University encourages individuals to act in accordance with reason guided by the example and teachings of Jesus Christ.
The DeVille School of Business has 16-degree programs for undergraduate and graduate students with a team of 8 full-time faculty and 40 adjunct faculty. Walsh University has 1558 undergraduate students and 751 graduate students.
Walsh University is being assisted by the partners of Hyatt-Fennell, Executive Search. Submit nominations and application materials to [email protected] Applications include a cover letter, a current resume/cv, and contact information for three professional references, in separate documents. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.
Walsh University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.
North Canton, OH 44720