Walsh University is seeking a highly motivated, self-directed and flexible individual who is enthusiastic about the environment found on a private, values based, Catholic liberal arts campus. Walsh University believes in the desirability of a small university grounded in the Judeo-Christian tradition that promotes academic excellence, a diverse community and close student-teacher interactions. The Catholic Church proclaims that human life is sacred and that the dignity of the human person is the foundation of a moral vision for society. Walsh University is committed to creating a community where every member will be treated with compassion, dignity, kindness, respect, and sensitivity. The Director of Cultural Engagement and Belonging serves as a member of the Student Affairs team and plays an integral role in actualizing this commitment.
The Director Cultural Engagement and Belonging is responsible for cultivating a positive, student-centered community that includes the establishment of programs and services which foster respect, dignity, and Christian virtue among students. The Director plays a significant role in the comprehensive learning, development, support and accompaniment of minority students on campus to create a stronger sense of belonging within the campus community and commitment to the common good. Particular emphasis is placed on increasing recruitment, support and retention of underrepresented student at Walsh University. The Director is responsible for implementing a broad range of student-centered programs to promote multicultural education for the campus community. This position works collaboratively across the institution to build strong networks and support systems to help students persist and thrive.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
• Coordinate educational, cultural and social programs that foster awareness, appreciation and celebration of diversity and inclusion.
• Support the University's approach with implementing a Cultural Humility framework that focuses on building deep connections, interactions, mutual respect and learning across the campus community.
• Collaborate with the Director of International Student Services on student outreach, engagement opportunities and program development.
• Serve as a member of the Walsh United Diversity Pillar that serves as channel to bridge and unite our community through a common desire to embrace our unique lived experiences and enhance our campus culture.
• Implement student success initiatives that provide individual support for students of color, first generation college students and other underrepresented students.
• Work in close collaboration with the university departments to support recruitment and retention student initiatives, including but not limited to: Academic Support Services, Admissions, Athletics, Cavs Cor Cordium, Counseling Services, and Financial Aid.
• Plan and implement annual intercultural programming and celebrations designed to engage the campus community in cultural exploration consistent with embracing the rich diversity of the Catholic Church (Asian Pacific Heritage Month, Black History Month, Catholic Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Asian Pacific Heritage Month, Women's History Month, etc.).
• Oversee the MOSAIC new student multicultural orientation and leadership program.
• Serve as a member of the University CARE Team designed to provide direct outreach and support to students.
• Participate as a member of the University's Coordinated Community Response Team (CCRT) and collaborate with the Cavalier Safeguard Initiative with ongoing efforts to reduce sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking on campus.
• Responsible for enforcing University policies and procedures and serve as a Conduct Hearing Officer and Title IX Deputy
• Develop, establish, disseminate and interpret University and office policies and procedures as they pertain to all student and student organizations.
• Serve as the Advisor for Black Student Union, LatinX, and other campus multicultural student club/organizations as assigned.
• Responsible for fiscal management of departmental operating budget including forecasting expenditures and revenues, maintaining records, and linking program objectives and assessment to the university's vision strategic implementation priorities.
• Promote availability and visibility to student body via effective utilization of office space, office
• Represent the University in both local and national communities.
• Contribute to the overall success of the University by serving on committees and performing other duties as assigned by direct supervisor and/or Vice-President for Student Affairs.
Required Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
Must understand and support the Mission, Vision and Code of Ethical Conduct of Walsh University, as a Catholic higher education university as expressed in Ex Corde Ecclesiae, and possess the following:
• Demonstrated leadership abilities and excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to build relationships with a broad range of constituencies and proven track record of navigating sensitive issues with confidence, professionalism and integrity.
• Experience in student activities programming, leadership development and training, advising students and an understanding of college student development.
• Experience in student recruitment and serving as an ambassador for the institution.
• Team orientation and inclusive philosophy in order to support the campus community.
• Weekend and evening work is vital to the success of this position.
• Positive attitude, and a sense of humor is a must.
Education and Academic Status:
Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in higher education administration, diversity and inclusion, counseling social work or related field is preferred.
Experience, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as highly effective interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and engage in the gathering, examination and analysis of information to arrive at solutions or recommendations and/or take appropriate action.
• Must take pride and be thorough in the quality of work produced completing assignments in accordance with the communicated timeline.
• Demonstrated technology literacy and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
• Frequently: sit, perform desk-based computer tasks; use fine manipulation and grasp; use a telephone; write by hand; sort and file paperwork.
• Occasionally: stand and walk; twist; lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
• Occasionally: ability to attend events and activities on or off campus.
• Frequently: ability to interact and communicate with members of the University and others as necessary.
• As needed: ability to work any part of the day or week, including early mornings, evenings, overnight hours, weekends, and holidays.
Applicants must submit a completed online application and any additional documents requested by the search/interview committee. This may include resume, unofficial transcripts, etc.
Apply at: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=101187&clientkey=1051C39EB9AB7F40500A9D465D1FF64D
About Walsh University
Walsh University is seeking a dynamic, energetic, and passionate individual who is enthusiastic about the environment found on a private, values based, Catholic liberal arts campus. Walsh University believes in the desirability of a small university that promotes academic excellence, a diverse community and close student-teacher interactions. A commitment to the Judeo-Christian tradition, diversity and service learning are critical to the mission of Walsh University. Walsh University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.