Saint Francis Retreat House
Position Description - Executive Director
St. Francis Retreat House in Easton, PA is a place we like to call home. Here we can find a new way of seeing God through Franciscan Spirituality. Come explore the space, the outdoors, the sacred quiet of our chapels. Come walk and pray. Be still in the Divine Presence of our creator-Father, Son and Holy Spirit. St. Francis Retreat House is a Sponsored Ministry of the Franciscan Friars of the Province of St. John the Baptist, Cincinnati, Ohio. In this Franciscan environment of hospitality and compassionate concern we seek to respond to contemporary needs by working under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, provide an affordable, peaceful oasis for those seeking spiritual nourishment and renewal, and serve those in need by providing programs that support human and spiritual growth. Our services include;
• Private Retreats, one day Retreats, as well as Stay over Retreats
• In Person Group retreats, sponsored and group
• Mini and Virtual Retreats
• Spiritual Direction, Spiritual Development Programs and Mass
St. Francis Retreat House (SFRH) seeks an Executive Director to lead the organization, elevate its visibility within the local community and build an exceptional team dedicated to continuing its important mission in an environment grounded in Franciscan Charism.
A leader who can bridge the temporal needs of running the retreat center with the spiritual mission of openness and oneness with God will be a welcome candidate. Objectives will include deepening and perpetuating Franciscan Values in the retreat center's service to its guests.
Operational responsibilities include delivery of guest services for hosted, sponsored and private retreats, fundraising, general administration and financial integrity. Experience in the hospitality and/or retreat industry with a successful track record in management and leadership positions are essential requirements. Management experience that demonstrates collaboration and collegiality will also be important considerations.
The position reports to The St. Francis Retreat House Board directly and to a liaison position assigned by Franciscan Ministries, Inc. The ideal candidate will have experience working with governance and advisory boards.
The new Executive Director position will be a proactive representative of St. Francis Retreat House internally and externally and will be comfortable interacting regularly with customers and retreat guests (especially high schools), staff, volunteers, donors, and the Franciscan friar community. In addition to recruiting skills, the successful candidate will also have a track record of developing management capabilities from within, inspiring associates to a high level of performance and holding them accountable to performance and standards. A practical understanding of organizational development and finances is desired.
• Determine overall strategic direction and execution plan for SFRH both for the immediate and long-term sustainability of the ministry.
• Ensure hospitable delivery of services for hosted, sponsored and private retreats to St. Francis Retreat House's various constituent groups.
• Lead the staff of SFRH to ensure they are exceeding guest expectations in the providing of retreat services.
• Ensure standard HR policies, procedures, and protocols are in place.
• Develop a cohesive team working in an operating atmosphere of trust, transparency and grounded in Franciscan Values.
• Enhance the visibility of the SFRH in the Greater Lehigh Valley and surrounding communities through marketing, planning, communications and outreach. Strengthen relationships with local Catholic parishes and other faith-based community organizations.
• Seek out strategic opportunities to build and strengthen programs at the retreat house.
• Develop a strong, collaborative and supportive relationship with the local friar community to ensure their needs are being met.
• Lead, direct and participate in fundraising and capital campaign strategies/efforts on behalf of the Retreat House
• Prepare an annual operating and capital budget, ensuring overall financial integrity including financial practices and reporting, as well as achievement of budget.
• Knowledge of technology including, Windows, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks online, website management and social media a plus.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Licensing
• Retreat Center/ Hospitality/ Conference Center management experience
• Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field
• 10 years of leadership experience
• Professional certification as required (CPR/First Aid Certified, VIRTUS Certified or willing to complete these certifications.)
• Experience hiring and managing a diverse staff to meet strategic goals
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Collaborative management style
• Finance, HR, and strategy development experience
• Alignment with Franciscan Catholic Values
• Experience with a Catholic (especially Franciscan) ministry
• Experience working with a governance Board (preferably non-profit)