Youth Minister Job Description
Title: Coordinator of Youth Ministry
Status: Full-time with benefits, exempt, 12 months
Reports to: Parochial Vicar
1) Primary Function of this Position: Develop and coordinate youth ministry for 7th-12th grade adolescents, promotes young adults' (ages 18-30) activities within the parish, train youth in grades 1st-12th in virtue and the lives of the saints.
2) Major responsibilities and regular activities: a) Identify, train, and support parish youth leadership teams. b) Utilize effective means of communicating to youth and their families (i.e. Flocknote, Instagram, Facebook, etc.). c) Maintain a budget established by the Finance Committee and Pastor. d) Provide ongoing education in virtue and catechesis as listed (below). e) Serves as the liaison to the Pastoral Council. f) Advocate for participation by youth in the ministries and service organizations of the parish.
-Oversees, facilitates, and runs the boys' and girls' groups (1st-12th grade).
-Oversees and facilitates co-ed youth activities (7th-12th grade) including volunteer recruitment.
-Coordinates activities with the director of religious education
-Leads individual, communal, and liturgical prayer in ministry with the youth.
-Oversees the youth minister assistant (already employed with 8+ years experience.)
3) Position specifications/requirements: a) The CYM is a Catholic who strives to live a life of virtue and prayer. b) The CYM's faith has been formed in Catholic theology, is knowledgeable of Sacred Scripture, Catholic Doctrine, and Sacramental and Moral Theology. c) The CYM is an effective leader and administrator; skilled in communication, pastoral planning budgeting, legal concerns and managing volunteers. d) The CYM understands Theology of the Body and can apply it to ministry and teach it to adolescents.
4) Education and Training: a) Bachelor's degree in theology, religious studies, religious education, or related field. b) Certification in youth ministry.
5) Working Environment: This position requires frequent evening, weekend, and off-site work. An assistant to the youth minister is already employed with 8+ years of experience.