Coordinator of Religious Education Job Description
Title: Coordinator of Religious Education (CRE)
Status: Part-time (19 hours), non-exempt, 12 months
Reports to: parochial vicar
1) Primary Function of this Position: The Director of Religious Education administers the kindergarten through 12th grade catechetical program, oversees the curriculum of the catechetical program, and works with the youth minister to coordinate events and programs.
2) Major Position Responsibilities and Regular Activities: a) Oversees the catechetical program by conducting a needs assessment in the parish, develops goals, objectives, and strategies for the K-12th grade program, pursues further education and professional development. b) Develops a coordinated approach toward the K-12th grade program by recruiting, training, and supervising catechists, and support staff. c) Coordinates and oversees all Safe Parish requirements. d) Maintains relationship with the pastor, parochial vicars, and other parish staff members. e) Develops individualized programs for parishioners with special religious education needs. f) Is responsible for the maintenance and purchasing of supplies for the religious education library. g) Is responsible for the acquisition of and maintenance of AV/technological equipment. h) Shares responsibility with other staff members for building maintenance, improvement, and space design. i) Follows the budget set by the Parish Finance Committee. j) Negotiates for space and other physical environment requirements. k) Coordinates liturgical and sacramental functions and varied prayer experiences. l) Communicates with participants, parents, and the parish-at-large to keep them informed of religious education efforts. m) Evaluates the religious education program of the total parish in relation to the goals, objectives, and strategies.
3) Position Specifications and Requirements. The Director of Religious Education is expected to have capabilities in: Theology, Program Development, Catechist Development, Education, Communication and Relationship, Administration and Management.
4) Education, Training, and/or Experience: High school diploma and at least 2 years of experience in a parish setting.
5) Working Environment: This position involves frequent evening and weekend work