The Director of Music Ministry (DMM) is a full-time employee of the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh and reports to / is responsible to the Director of the Duke Catholic Center (DCC). The Director of Music Ministry works closely with the DCC staff and students.
The Director of Music Ministry for the Duke Catholic Center collaborates with other staff members to lead students into a deeper experience and love of Christ. The DMM should deeply appreciate the Church's liturgical and musical tradition to contribute more effectively to an understanding of the mysteries being celebrated.
DMM's role is also responsible for leading music outside of specifically liturgical moments, such as retreats, Holy Hours, and DCC events.
Plan, organize, and lead the music ministry:
- Plan, coordinate, and evaluate a comprehensive music program involving student participation for the Duke Catholic Center.
- Work in consultation with Director/Chaplain to prepare the music for the Mass and other liturgical services.
- Foster an appreciation for the musical tradition of the universal Church.
- Lead and direct the student musicians, vocalists, and congregational music at regular and special worship services. Provide liturgical formation, music education, and practical preparation for cantors/leaders of song, choral, and instrumental groups.
- Encourage and recruit students to offer their musical talents to the music ministry, individually and/or in organized music groups.
- Organize and supervise an instrumental and vocal music program..
- Seek opportunities for music ministry to perform within the Duke community, including Duke Catholic Center planned outreach, services, programs, and activities of the Duke Catholic Center (e.g., Retreats, Wednesday Holy Hours)
- Supervise the music ministry student work studies and Student Director as administrative/ministerial support staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of the Duke Catholic Center.
- Maintaining copyright licenses for all music used in liturgies.
MUSIC PROGRAM IMPLEMENTATION:
- Direct planning and conducting of music ministry
- Coordinate the music ministry schedules of music groups and individuals with the DCC and Duke Chapel
- Prepare and print Sunday Mass program: Compose, edit, prepare, and print Sunday Mass programs and are available digitally for other staff communications.
- Is responsible for recruiting, scheduling, directing, and rehearsing with the various music ministers (i.e., choir members, cantors, instrumentalists) for liturgical celebrations and musical ministry activities (e.g., retreats, Holy Hours).
- Continue to develop personal and professional skills by taking courses and/or participating in non-degree workshops and conferences that are generally related to their work, the mission of pastoral liturgy, and the future direction of the DCC music ministry.
- The performance of the Director of Music Ministry shall be evaluated annually by the Director based on the statement of personal goals contained in this job description.
- Actively participate in regular DCC Staff Meetings and other Ministry meetings.
- Work with the Business Manager on budget preparation and resource allocation as it relates to music ministry.
- Manage the music ministry budget as approved and submit required reports, estimates, and requests according to relevant Duke Catholic Center policies and by specified deadlines.
- Select and purchase all needed music, equipment, and supplies according to the music budget.
- Supervise the use and maintenance of the music, equipment, and supplies, such as the music library, musical instruments, and upkeep of the music room at the Falcone Arena House.
- Serve as part of the Duke Catholic Center's Ministry Staff in accompanying students in one on one discipleship and faith formation of students.
- Coordinate all music activities, projects, and programs with other DCC activities to place music ministry activities on the DCC calendar.
- A Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church.
Employment is contingent upon the applicant satisfactorily passing criminal background and reference checks.
- Must complete diocese-sponsored Safe Environment Training within 60 days of hire.
- Minimum Level of Education: A Bachelor's or Master's degree in music, theology, or related field, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Proficiency in the piano is required to lead rehearsals.
A minimum amount of Work Experience: 2-5 years of related work experience in music ministry and/or campus ministry.
AREA OF WORK RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- Campus ministry in accompanying young adults in supporting their faith formation through music ministry
- Demonstrated competency in directing volunteer choirs and musicians.
- Must be available each Sunday for 10 am rehearsal and set up before 11 am Mass, and 7 pm rehearsal and set up before 8 pm Mass. Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday business hours (9 am - 5 pm.). Tuesday night dinner and rehearsal 4 pm - 8 pm. There may be some flexibility on days worked, depending on workload.
- Positive attitude, relationship-building skills, a high level of self-motivation, and a strong work ethic.
- Must have a comprehensive knowledge of Catholic Church teachings with particular emphasis in areas of liturgy, sacred music, and student campus ministry
- Strong leadership and organization skills
- Possess knowledge and have competently performed sacred music
- Ability to lead and direct both instrumental ensembles and choirs
- Knowledge of a variety of musical styles and ability to teach these styles
- Possess effective interpersonal communication skills especially in relating to and engaging young adults
- Experience as an organist
- Proficiency in reading music
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Full Diocese Benefits Package
- Budgeted funds for continuing education and professional development.
To apply, please submit a cover letter with your resume to Lucy Honner at [email protected]
Durham, NC 27701