Catholic Campus Ministry at UNCW gathers students, faculty, staff, and friends together in Christian community. Through liturgy, formation, fellowship, and service to others, we are empowered by the Spirt to bring the light of the Gospel to our campus.
Within the overarching mission of forming Christian leaders, Catholic Campus Ministry endeavors to accomplish the following objects:
• Provide a welcoming Christian community
• Promote physical health, spiritual maturity, and intellectual growth
• Facilitate the integration of Catholic ideals into the lives of its members
• Inspire lives of service, stewardship, and social justice as a natural consequence of an instilled love of God and fellow human beings
The Campus Minister is responsible for developing and maintaining a vibrant campus ministry, by integrating authentic, engaging Catholic practice seamlessly into the academic life of the institution, with the ultimate goal of forming engaged/intentional Christian disciples.
• Exercises a 'ministry of presence,' by being available on campus at least 40 hours per/week and maintaining posted office hours based on student schedules.
• Determines effective ways to work with Campus Chaplain in service to students.
• Oversees and/or facilitates campus-based RCIA program in collaboration with local pastor.
• Assists with sacramental preparation for those students who request it.
• Oversees the Newman Center, including the provision of support and training to the Newman Center board in topics such as: leadership, programming and budgeting, as appropriate.
• Establishes/maintains relationships with Vocation Office of the diocese, as well as with officers of the institution, especially the Office of Student Affairs.
• Researches, designs, markets, and implements programming that appeals to students - e.g., faith formation; retreats, small faith discussion groups, service projects and classroom visits.
• Helps students resolve personal issues and refers them to professionals when necessary.
• Represents the Campus Ministry Office at institution meetings.
• Keeps current on young adult issues and current trends to maintain relevance.
• Establishes a triage protocol with the institution to ensure the Campus Minister can be reached in the event of student emergencies during off-campus hours.
• Creates and publishes Campus Ministry information bulletins that explain programs, upcoming events, faith formation opportunities, etc.
• Pre-authorizes/tracks expenditures to ensure spending remains within budget limits.
• Submits monthly reimbursements/bills to the diocese and institution for payment.
• Must be a practicing Catholic who is active in her/his faith.
• Bachelor's degree in pastoral ministry, theology, religious studies, or closely related field. Master's Degree preferred.
• Comprehensive knowledge of and appreciation for the teachings and the structure of the Roman Catholic Church.
• Experience working with young adults in a campus and/or parish setting.
• Experience in program design, facilitation, and implementation
• Experience in managing a budget.
• Experience in strategic planning.
• Experience in counseling and/or spiritual direction (preferred).
• Familiarity with and ability to apply Catholic principles and teaching in an academic setting.
• Ability to effectively communicate - speaking, writing, and especially listening.
• Proficiency in social media platforms.
In addition to a competitive salary, the diocese provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurances and a generous 403(b) plan.
Compensation will be determined commensurate with education and experience. Hiring range is $40,000 to $52,000.
Raleigh, NC 27613