Position Title: Assistant Controller
Reports to: Financial Controller
To apply, copy and paste this link in your browser to submit your resume:
The Diocese of Charlotte is seeking a full time Assistant Controller. This position supervises three to four staff members and reports to the Financial Controller. Responsibilities include accounting for the Diocesan Central Administration and its affiliated entities.
• Oversight of monthly financial closings and general ledger entries.
• Coordinate preparation and review month/quarter financial reporting (internal and external).
• Preparation of the annual financial statement and disclosures as required by GAAP.
• Assist with the annual audit process.
• Coordinate preparation and review of month/quarter/semi-annual sales and use tax filings.
• Prepare and upload payroll journal entries.
• Oversee the Accounts Payable process.
• Supervise the recording of cash receipts.
• Oversee and provide guidance for donor revenue transactions.
• Participate and assist with annual budget procedures.
• Support the Financial Controller with various responsibilities and projects.
• Understand and oversee activities related to Fund Accounting.
• Supervise, train, and evaluate staff members.
• Aide in the preparation of various tax returns.
• Calendar year-end close out and reconciliation/preparation of year-end reports, DSA letters, priest retirement, seminarian letters and 1099s.
• Assist with preparation of annual consolidated assessments.
• Prepare and enter recurring journal entries and recurring AP vouchers for each fiscal year.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
• CPA required.
• 5 Years' experience in Accounting and/or Internal Auditing.
• Thorough knowledge of budgeting principles and practices, internal control systems, tax related legislation, treasury management, financial reporting methodologies, and of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as promulgated by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
• Strong verbal, written and analytical skills.
• Proficiency with computers, word processing, spreadsheet software, accounting software and Windows.
• Dental Insurance
• Health Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Paid Time Off
• Retirement Plan
• Generous Vacation/Holiday Schedule
• 8 Hour Shift
• Monday - Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
• Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work.