The Student Ministry Coordinator will initiate and lead several aspects of the Catholic Campus Ministry program at Elon University. Designed as a two-year position, the role is ideal for a recent graduate looking to get their feet wet in the world of professional lay ministry. This is a 10-month (August to May), 40+ hours/week position (more or less depending on week). The Student Ministry Coordinator is hired by the Diocese of Raleigh and reports to the Director of Catholic Life at Elon University.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
Mentorship and Leadership Development
• Support all efforts of the CCM Servant Leadership Team:
- Work with Servant Leaders to plan and implement student-led activities and programs.
- Ensure and manage all logistics necessary for events.
- Help to provide leadership, guidance, and encouragement.
- Attend weekly CORE Team meetings and provide guidance as necessary.
- Meet weekly with individual Servant Leaders (assigned) for one-on-one discipleship.
• Coordinate the Evangelical Catholic (EC) training program:
- Serve as the primary point person for the EC partnership.
- Coordinate the invitation processes for a new Reach More training group each semester.
- Facilitate the weekly training sessions with an eye toward future steps.
- Meet weekly or bi-weekly with participants for one-on-one discipleship.
- Shepherd students as they enter into their apostolates and small groups.
• Oversee the Awakening Retreat program:
- Work with and provide guidance to the Rector and Coordinator to plan and implement the annual Awakening Retreat.
- Ensure all logistics for the Awakening Retreat.
- Ensure adequate promotion and outreach for the Awakening Retreat.
- Oversee leadership transitions and planning retreats.
Student Outreach and Evangelization
• Develop a ministry of presence with students by encouraging attendance and being visible/welcoming at CCM events and activities, including but not limited to: every Sunday Mass, weekday Masses, weekend retreats (three each year), weeklong alternative break trips (fall and spring), social activities, service events, etc.
• Continually invite students to CCM programs and activities.
• Regularly set up meetings with students, new and returning, to build relationships.
• Foster relationships with students who are ready to go deeper into their Catholic faith.
- Journey with them through one-on-one discipleship.
- Invite them to regular participation in the sacraments and weekly small groups.
- Care for them regularly and in moments of overwhelming or crisis situations.
• Assist Associate Chaplain for Catholic Life with the RCIA program, culminating in students receiving the Sacraments at Easter Mass
• Handle all logistics necessary on the university level.
• Coordinate schedule for Liturgical Ministers.
• Serve as the primary Sacristan for Masses on Sundays/weekends, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, and holy days of obligation. This includes:
- Setup and cleanup/takedown of altar table, chairs, etc.
- Ensuring liturgical ministers have checked in or finding replacements.
- Ensuring Servant Leader roles are filled as necessary.
- Preparing and assisting with gifts and offertory.
- Ensuring that Mass runs smoothly.
• Support all efforts of the Director of Catholic Life and the Associate Chaplain for Catholic Life.
• Attend weekly CCM staff meetings.
• Attend monthly meetings with the Truitt Center for Religious & Spiritual Life and with Elon's Division of Student Life.
• Represent CCM to Elon University and its various departments and circles, the CCM Advisory Board, the Diocese of Raleigh, and the general public.
• Support other members of the staff with projects such as mailings advancement (fundraising), and strategic planning.
• Other duties as requested.
• Develop personal skills as a Catholic leader
- Pursue and maintain an active, growing relationship with God through daily prayer.
- Regularly celebrate the sacraments.
- Read Scripture and other Catholic works to further knowledge of the faith.
- Attend or participate in one continuing education program each year.
• Meet with CCM Staff once a week for a spiritual and faith formation hour.
• Be open and willing to engage in multi-faith efforts.
• Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church
• Bachelor's degree
• Ability to work well with others in a team-oriented environment
• Flexibility in hours, including nights and weekends
• Ability to adapt to change and handle pressures around student schedules
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office and Google Drive
• Current valid driver's license
• The Student Ministry Coordinator position has flexible hours with substantial evening and weekend work as a 40+ hour per week position. Sundays are mandatory.
• Vacation policies revolve around the Elon academic calendar.
• Students are at the heart of our ministry. The ability to communicate with students is important, sometimes even during off hours.
• Our ministry is collaborative by nature, much time is spent working together with our students, and as a staff.
• The Truitt Center for Religious and Spiritual life is the multi-faith center of Elon University. We collaborate with both Christian and other religious organizations to bring our students together.
• Elon University is a private, secular, liberal arts college with high-achieving students, and a large Greek life presence.
• Full-time, 10-month position (August-May). Salary and benefits are adjusted to a 12-month cycle.
• Monthly stipends given for cell phone reimbursement and approved student meetings
• Benefits as provided by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh, including medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance and a 403(b) plan
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and two references to T Huynh-Duc, Director of Catholic Life: [email protected] The deadline for applications is April 15, 2023. As part of the process, interviews with the CCM staff will be scheduled shortly after the application is received and reviewed.
Elon, NC 27244