St. Patrick Church is currently accepting applications for the position of Director of Music.
It is a vibrant Catholic community in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn, New York.
List of responsibilities and duties of the position:
• Coordinate music ministry for the parish
o Choose a balance of traditional and contemporary hymns and music every month and get approval from pastor and parochial vicar.
o Provide new music for the congregation and choirs by subscribing to and reviewing new music from the major music publishers for Catholic Congregations.
o Choose all the hymns and choir anthems to correspond with the readings and liturgy of the day.
• Lead and direct the parish adult choir and the parish youth choir during rehearsals, Mass, and any other special events.
• Recruit new members for the adult choir and youth choir.
• Help with vocal coaching of choir members.
• Play organ and piano for all Masses and special liturgies
o Includes 5 PM Vigil Mass, 9:30 AM Mass w/ Youth Choir, 11:00 AM Mass w/ Adult Choir, 12:30 PM Mass
o 1 Vigil Mass and 3 Masses during the day on Holy Days of Obligation
• Sing while playing for most Masses and services.
• Play music for funerals and weddings.
• Provide music list and guidance for funerals.
• Provide engaged couples with a music selection sheet and guidance for their wedding.
• Coordinate cantors for funerals and weddings.
• Coordinate cantors/instrumentalists/vocalists for special liturgies and major feast days.
• Organize and maintain the music library.
• Use Apple Pages to develop and publish worship aids for special liturgies/events.
• Coordinate with pastor and parochial vicar concerning the music budget.
• Maintain records of all musicians and music.
• Oversee maintenance of the sound system, bell system, and any other instruments belonging to the church.
• Undergraduate degree in music with proficiency in keyboard skills/organ skills/improvisation skills. Masters degree preferred.
• Some experience in liturgical music preferred.
• Practicing Catholic preferred, with demonstrated knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgy, role of music within the liturgy, familiarity with liturgical documents, the various rites and music resources, the Roman Missal and Lectionary.
• Strong organizational skills; strong interpersonal skills; ability to work without supervision; ability to coordinate and collaborate with other ministers and members of the staff.
• Strong background in choral direction and vocal pedagogy. Some experience in Music Education is preferred.
• Working knowledge of sound equipment.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and references, as well as an audio or video recording of yourself playing and singing a hymn of your choice to [email protected]