DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Reports to the President
i. to design and execute a comprehensive and diverse fundraising plan targeting both the local and national markets that St. Bernard's serves, inclusive of but not restricted to the Annual Fund, endowment projects, scholarships, special projects, grant-writing, memorial/honorary gifts, and planned giving;
ii. to attend to communications, public relations, alumni groups, and institutional partners as these relate to and are in support of development efforts;
iii. to collaborate with the President, the Development and Public Relations Committee of the Board of Trustees, and the Development Committee internal to St. Bernard's to achieve the development and fundraising goals of St. Bernard's.
Development, Relationship Building and Stewardship:
1. Enhance, guide, and execute a coordinated schedule of development initiatives in service of the Annual Fund.
2. Develop specific fundraising initiatives as appropriate, maintaining an emphasis on donor acquisition, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
3. Initiate and sustain long-term giving programs that provide opportunities to support St. Bernard's through bequests, trusts, annuities, and other planned giving vehicles on the local and national levels.
4. Collaborate with the President to implement cultivation and stewardship activities in the dioceses that we serve and in relation to partner institutions, including but not restricted to alumni activities, special events, luncheons, and letters of acknowledgement.
5. With the President, identify leadership and major gift prospects; enlist active involvement of Board members, alumni, and key volunteers as appropriate.
6. Research and develop individual, foundation, corporate, and grant funding proposals as appropriate.
7. Utilize Populi for data management, donor tracking, and report generation.
8. With the President, create a Development Plan that will guide the annual implementation of the goals articulated in the 2021-2026 Strategic Plan.
9. Chair the Development Committee and facilitate regular meetings to assist the implementation of the Development Plan.
10. Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications office, specifically with regard to the composition of the St. Bernard's Magazine, annual reports, donor listings, and any public relations strategies, messages, and events that aid the implementation of the Development Plan and reinforce development priorities.
11. Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
1. Direct the Assistant to the Director of Development to assure the timely completion of donor acknowledgements, necessary record keeping, reporting and other data management tasks.
2. Work closely with the Development and Public Relations Committee of the Board, which includes but is not restricted to preparation and presentation of preliminary donation reports to this committee and at the quarterly Board of Trustees' meetings.
3. In conjunction with the Finance Manager, formulate an annual budget for the Development office that allows for its goals and fundraising plans to be realized.
Required Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor's degree is required
• An understanding of and cooperation in the mission of the Roman Catholic Church and of St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry
• An active member of a Roman Catholic Faith community preferred
• Knowledge and awareness of the operation of a post-secondary institution (2+ years of work experience in a post-secondary institution preferred)
• Experience with fundraising strategy, planning, and implementation preferred
• Demonstrated success in fundraising and development initiatives preferred
• Proficiency in computer and office software applications
• Strong organizational and analytical skills, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, donor/customer relationship management (DRM/CRM) software and social media platforms
• Willingness to pursue appropriate certification (such as the CFRE) and professional development opportunities.
• Assistant to the Director of Development
St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry assumes a Ministerial Exception.
Review of applications will begin immediately; all application materials are due on or before August 10th, 2022. Please send a cover letter, resume, a professional writing sample, and three references (names, affiliations, and contact information) to:
Dr. Matthew Kuhner
Vice President and Academic Dean
Assistant Professor of Systematic Theology
St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry