The Parish Secretary/Administrative Assistant role provides both clerical and administrative support to the Pastor, and parish staff and is a member of the parish team to ensure the smooth and professional running of the administration of the Parish Office. The Parish Secretary is often the first point of contact and so it is also a role of welcoming and helping all callers & visitors at the parish office. The role will be involved with the coordination and implementation of office procedures and have responsibility for specific projects and tasks such as maintenance of the Parish Database and Parish Sacramental Records and updating the content of the Parish Website.
Qualifications Required: Tertiary education and experience in office administration and time management to efficiently deal with multiple responsibilities at once.
Competencies, Skills, and Experience Required
• Demonstrated ability in the accurate and proficient performance of a wide range of administrative tasks.
• Organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) and a pastoral attitude. Is patient, welcoming, flexible, and dependable.
• Be a fully initiated Catholic and be intentionally living out their faith.
• Ability to relate to a variety of people and the capacity to develop and maintain sound working relationships with other parish workers and volunteers.
• Energetic and highly motivated with initiative and capacity to work with minimum supervision.
• The ability to recognize sensitive information and maintain strict confidentiality.
• Displays good judgment, emotional control, and integrity.
• Technology Competent. Working knowledge of office equipment, proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Salesforce. (Willingness to learn)
• Bi-lingual; fluency in both English and Spanish (written and verbal)- helpful.
• Receives, screens, and directs incoming phone calls, takes messages as indicated, and handles routine questions regarding parish activities.
• Welcomes and assists visitors to the office. Directs them to the appropriate staff member when unable to provide the information or services they need.
• Manage supporting evening/weekend staff.
• Schedule supporting staff to cover the duties of the position when away for meetings, vacation, and other.
• Assist parish committees in understanding parish policy and scheduling requirements.
• Assists Director of Faith Formation/Pastoral Associate.
• Works with part-time Bookkeeper to assist with the smooth functioning of finance.
• Maintains a safe environment complaint with diocesan policy for the safety of children and adults.
Secretarial and Administrative Support to Parish Staff
• Maintains and updates the parishioner database.
• Maintains and updates the parish sacramental registries.
• Coordinates and distributes information regarding sacraments to other parishes/diocese
• Prepares sacramental certificates/pamphlets/booklets
• Ensures the Mass Book is updated and neatly organized
• Received print-ready material, prepares and prints the weekly bulletin.
• Maintains the parish and buildings calendar.
• Arranges staff coverage as needed. (events, holidays, holy days, etc.)
• Monitors and orders office supplies, and coordinates office equipment maintenance.
• Sorts and distributes incoming mail (email and post)
• Maintains and updates offertory envelope distribution lists.
• Maintains and updates Annual Catholic Appeal lists and Tablet subscriptions.
• Maintain a safe and clean reception/office area.
• Assist parish staff with requests as needed.
• Performs various general office tasks as assigned.
Monday- Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM