Our Lady of Peace in Fords NJ has an opening for a Parish Secretary. The ideal candidate is a service-oriented person with demonstrated experience working in environments handling confidential information and able to work quickly and accurately in an environment with competing deadlines. Strong technical skills are required. The Parish Secretary performs all duties and responsibilities in alignment with the Catholic mission
The R. C. Church of Our Lady of Peace in Fords NJ has an opening for a Parish Secretary. The ideal candidate is a service-oriented person with demonstrated experience working in environments handling confidential information and able to work quickly and accurately in an environment with competing deadlines. Strong technical skills are required. The Parish Secretary performs all duties and responsibilities in alignment with the Catholic mission vision.
Schedule: M-F 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
1. Collaborates with the Pastor and Parish Office staff in implementing the Mission of Our Lady of Peace Parish in Fords NJ.
2. Maintains confidentiality about all official matters. Provides and receives information requiring strict discretionary judgment, maintaining confidentiality and knowledge of parish and diocesan policies and procedures.
3. Assures that all secretarial/administrative duties for the Pastor are accomplished in a timely and efficient manner. Provides the main support in the Parish Office reception area.
4. Assures the establishment of office record keeping systems. Incumbent accomplishes this by developing and maintaining filing systems. Inserts agendas, minutes and other meeting materials in respective binders and filing system.
5. With the Parish Business Manager, oversees an inventory of office supplies, as requested. Prepares appropriate documentation and provides duplicating and collating services for in-services, workshops, meetings and parish events.
6. Confidentially coordinates all of the Pastor's related mailings from inception to post-office deposit and in a timely manner. Provides clerical support and for mailings and other efforts as designated by the Pastor. Handles correspondence and files of confidential and sensitive nature.
7 Develops the Pastor's announcements.
9. Develops and designs graphic materials and announcements utilizing MS Publisher, or other design tools.
10. Assures messages from the Pastor are forwarded to the appropriate parish personnel.
11. Assists the Business Manager in preparing for meetings and gathering. Incumbent accomplishes this by scheduling the logistics for meetings, conferences, speaking engagements or events, prepares for and tears down rooms, including setting up and tearing down the technical equipment. Assures the equipment is functioning and assists during the meeting to run any utilized technology.
12. Tracks the status of projects through MS Project or other tracking software.
14. Assists the Pastor with developing and maintaining relationships between pastors, clergy, lay employees and parishioners. This is accomplished by generating and mailing personalized letters, utilizing data maintained in the diocesan administration database. Sends personalized "thank you" letters to all respondents while checking any correspondence against the Parish Office database for name/address/email/phone number changes.
15. Assists the Pastor with any requests for the Ministry of Stewardship and Development in the Parish.
16. Assists in the letter design and review, signatures, personal letters to parishioners as requested by the Pastor.
17. Prepares narrative data and statistical reports for the Pastor, on Parishes' demographic, pastoral and giving data. Incumbent utilizes information from the parishes' Parish Soft and Parish Data Software (PDS) databases, accounting software and from Mission InSite (demographic software). Collects, compiles and/or reviews data to ensure completeness and accuracy according to established procedures. Generates standard lists and reports as required.
18. Maintains and updates the Parish database by entering in parish entities, clergy and lay employees' information. Assures all changes to parishes, and diocesan information is gathered from staff and entered accurately and timely into the Parish/Diocesan Administration database. Incumbent records all changes by the parish into the database and shares the appropriate information with diocesan ministries, submitting changes to information to other parish office staff as requested. Assures the maintenance of parish records on computer data system, including additions/deletions/corrections of parish data. Assures the development and maintenance of all parish entity-wide correspondence system. Reroutes returned mail to staff member's new/correct address. Prints address labels for mailings as requested. Maintains list of the groups within OLP Parish.
19. Assures all information is accounted for in an accurate and timely manner into the Parish Facility Scheduler Incumbent records all approved calendar events and changes by the Pastor.
20. Uses personal computer (PC) and software for census record keeping, word-processing, and other diocesan projects. Masters all new/updated computer programs acquired by the Business Manager and utilizes/integrates such software/hardware to accomplish tasks/goals more efficiently. Provides technical assistance with computers, printers, software, and diocesan projects to other office/parish staff as requested. Creates customized reports for the Pastor as needed. Codes records to facilitate computer retrieval and special listings/labels as requested/directed. Be responsible for the website maintenance and weekly Bulletin with the assistance of other members of the Parish Office Staff.
21. Assists in training new and existing employees on Parish Office procedures and protocols.
22. Assists the Business Manager with legal, construction and property documents in preparation for the Pastor's signature.
23. Assists the Business Manager in compiling advance materials (copying, typing, etc.) necessary for the corporate/governing boards, consultative councils and commissions, ministry teams and other committee meetings as assigned, mailing out such materials to members of those teams. Takes notes at meetings as assigned. Helps with special projects as needed.
24. Aids with any task or project that the Pastor chooses and assigns.
25. Composes and types correspondence on matters assigned by the Pastor
26. Maintains a level of knowledge and skills required to function as an Executive Administrative Assistant. This may be accomplished through reading, training opportunities or workshops, as approved and as appropriate. Seeks out professional development and networking opportunities. Seeks ways to improve and innovate the mission of OLP Parish.
36. Complies with Church, federal, state and local safety laws and policies
37. Maintains a neat and safe work area.
38. To be a successful candidate one should be a practicing Catholic with a faithful knowledge and understanding of the Catholic Church.
Candidate must successfully pass background screening and complete Safe Environment training, as well as, all requirements of the Diocese of Metuchen. All candidates mush submit two professional letters of recommendation and one character letter of recommendation. All of these references must come directly from the individual signing the said letters.
Schedule: M-F 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Please no telephone calls.