The Bookkeeper is responsible for the financial bookkeeping of the church under the direction of the Pastor and the Finance Committee. The Bookkeeper will maintain all accounting functions of the parish, including accounts payable and receivable and general ledger. The Bookkeeper shall know and value the mission of the Church to Evangelize all peoples. The Bookkeeper will be passionate about the Vision, Mission, and Renewal of the parish of Notre Dame of Mt. Carmel Church.
• Record weekly collections, online donations, and other cash receipts in the accounting records. Ensure the existence of a verifiable audit trail for all financial transactions.
• Reconcile the monthly bank statements.
• Liaison with the parish online giving company (OSV), assisting parishioners with any issues that may arise.
• Prepare acknowledgment letters for extra donations.
• Ensure time-sensitive annual donation letters for IRS Tax filing are issued.
• Process payments to vendors and others including obtaining proper support and authorization and maintaining vendor files.
• Assist in the preparation of the annual budget.
• Prepare payroll; update payroll system; accordingly, maintain employee files with related payroll/HR documentation and act as liaison with the payroll company vendor. (PayLocity).
• Liaison with the Diocese of Paterson for employee payroll and HR needs.
• Prepare financial reports for committees and Ministries; provide timely responses to their financial inquiries.
• Follow Standard Operating Procedures for document retention, destruction, and online storage.
• Any other related responsibilities as designated by the pastor.
• Maintain a presence in the parish in collaboration with parish staff.
Proficient with QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, and internet browsers.
A self-starter, eager to engage in the mission of the parish.
Committed to team building.
Strong organizational skills, and attention to detail abilities.
Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize workday.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Prior bookkeeping experience required.
Complete or update Virtus, safety training, and background check.
This position is accountable to the Pastor.
This is a part-time position. (15-18 hours/week)
Compensation is commensurate with the candidate's education and experience.
Please attach a minimum of two recent references with your resume.