Full time ministry position with benefits in Chadron, Nebraska. The director will develop, conduct and evaluate the programs of the Newman House of the Diocese of Grand Island to provide Catholic campus ministry for students at Chadron State College. The director will be accountable to the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry for the Diocese of Grand Island. The Director will be responsible for obtaining sacramental ministry and other aspects of pastoral care for Newman House programs as needed. The main objective of this position is to direct the campus ministry programming which will meet two critical objectives for the diocese:
1) Creating and implementing a vision which invites students, forms disciples and sends them on mission as they graduate from university.
2) Developing and fostering a culture which allows for a free ascent toward truth, goodness and beauty within the campus community.
These objectives will be met through the programming being centered around the 4 pillars of formation: human, spiritual, academic and apostolic. The director will lead a small student discipleship team that will serve as the leadership within the students. The director would be responsible for:
1) Ensure that the Newman Center maintains a culture of radical hospitality through various initiatives including coordinating the weekly Newman activities.
2) Setting the yearly vision of the Newman Center, with the assistance of the student discipleship council and Community Formation/Hospitality Coordinator.
3) Setting a plan of formation with the Diocesan Young Adult Director, UNK Chaplain and the community formation and hospitality coordinator.
4) Conduct relational ministry with students. Offer a presence and support for student activities and events on Campus. Oversee and lead a bible study/small group chain. Direct campus outreach efforts.
5) Develop and maintain a volunteer ministry team of local community members in various ministry roles with students.
6) Organize all the summer and welcome week programming to help new students connect with the Newman Center upon their arrival.
7) Organize and develop retreat schedule for the year, with assistance from the community formation coordinator and in coordination with the UNK Newman Center and Office of Young Adult Ministry.
8) Keep open communication with diocesan personnel and parish leaders in order to promote student involvement in ministry within the diocese.
9) Organize opportunities for student outreach and service to the local community and beyond.
10) Work with Collaborative CSC Campus ministries toward the common good of the religious and spiritual needs of all students
11) Maintain alumni and donor relations
12) Ensure that diocesan and administrative responsibilities are met:
- Serve as the contact person for the Diocese with Chadron State College, as well the representative for student organizations and CSC activities
- Implementation of diocesan policies as applicable, referring to the diocesan handbook as needed
- Maintain proper budgetary controls over the CSC Newman house budget (purchases, payment of bills; reports to the diocese)
- Maintain adequate program supplies and liturgical supplies for the chapel
- Make sure the Newman Center property is well maintained throughout the calendar year by managing the student housekeeping and maintenance employees
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to:
Or by mail to:
Diocese of Grand Island
Director of Operations
2708 Old Fair Road
Grand Island, NE 68803